Follow this guide to manually install OxygenOS 5.1.0 on OnePlus 5/5T. The latest OxygenOS software is based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
OnePlus is pretty consistent when it comes to listening to its users. The OEM stood on its words when it announced the arrival of Android Oreo update for its devices. Just after a few weeks from the announcement of stable OxygenOS based on Android 8.0, the company released new Open Beta builds for the OnePlus 5/5T, which was based on Android 8.1 Oreo. While Beta software is good for testing, not every user is always willing to install it for daily usage. Anyhow, users who look forward to the stable version of OxygenOS would not have to wait for any further. Those who have not yet received the OTA notification can follow this guide to install OxygenOS 5.1.0 on OnePlus 5/5T.
Table of Contents
Guide to Install OxygenOS 5.1.0 on OnePlus 5/5T (Android 8.1 Oreo)
After about a month of beta testing OnePlus is finally rolling out Android 8.1 Oreo-based OxygenOS 5.1.0. The OTA update will be rolling out in stages. Which means it shall be available for a few regions initially and for others in the coming days. Yes, it could be frustrating, but you can still update manually without losing any data. Device owners who have updated to Android 8.1 Oreo via custom ROMs can also use the method below to restore back to OxygenOS.
But before we get onto the steps and install OxygenOS 5.1.0 on OnePlus 5/5T, let us take a swift look at the new features and changes.
- Based on Android 8.1 Oreo
- Latest April 2018 security patch
- Full-screen gesture support for OnePlus 5T
- Power saving mode and adaptive brightness pause features in Gaming Mode
- New category tags in app drawer’s search section
- Auto name folders based on category
The update brings some real treat to both the devices. The OnePlus 5T is in favor and is the only device to get iPhone X-like navigation gestures at the moment. That could be because the OnePlus 5 already has capacitative navigation keys at the bottom. Anyhow, the update is still huge as it brings version bump to Android 8.1 Oreo and the latest Android security patches.
Before you even head down to the instructions, make sure to go to Settings > System updates and check for the OTA notification.
Make sure to fulfill the requirements before you head down and read the instructions to install OxygenOS 5.1.0 on OnePlus 5/5T.
- Take a complete backup of your data to safeguard yourself from any data loss situation. We suggest that you follow our Android backup guide.
- Charge your OnePlus 5/5T to at least 60% battery level to avoid shutdowns during the update process.
- Download and install OnePlus USB drivers on your PC.
Download OnePlus 5/5T OxygenOS 5.1.0 Update
How to Install OxygenOS 5.1.0 on OnePlus 5 and 5T?
Now, there are two methods to install OxygenOS 5.1.0 on OnePlus 5/5T. You can either use the local upgrade method, which will only work for stock unrooted devices with Open Beta or previous stable firmware. For those with root/TWRP, can follow method 2.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade
- Download OxygenOS 5.1.0 full ROM or OTA ZIP.
- Transfer the downloaded file to the root of the phone’s internal storage.
- Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘System updates’.
- Tap on the gear icon on the top-right.
- Select the ‘Local upgrade’ option.
- Tap on the OxygenOS ZIP file displayed on the screen.
- Finally, tap on ‘Upgrade Now’ to install OxygenOS 5.1.0 on OnePlus 5/5T.
- The device will reboot into stock recovery and the flashing process will begin.
- Once complete, the device will reboot automatically.
You can also follow our detailed instructions on how to install OxygenOS using Local Upgrade. It is strongly advised to perform a cache wipe after the update process is complete. This will prevent any unusual bugs from arising.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download OxygenOS 5.1.0 full ROM ZIP.
- Connect your OnePlus 5/5T to the PC.
- Copy the downloaded file to the internal storage.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- Boot OnePlus 5/5T into TWRP recovery.
- If you have a custom ROM installed, go to ‘Wipe’ > ‘Advanced wipe’ and select the following partitions:
- Dalvik/ART Cache
- Swipe the button to wipe the device.
- Go back to the main screen and tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the OxygenOS full ROM ZIP.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OxygenOS 5.1.0 on OnePlus 5/5T.
- When the flashing process finishes, tap on ‘Reboot System’.
Your OnePlus 5/5T will boot into Android 8.1 Oreo-based OxygenOS 5.1.0. Start exploring the new features such as the new iPhone X-like gestures on the OnePlus 5T. We are not sure when and if the OnePlus 5 will support similar gestures feature. For now, the number of new changes seem to be enough and also update the devices with the latest April 2018 security patches.
You can further follow our tutorial on how to root OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T on Android Oreo.
So this was our guide on how to install OxygenOS 5.1.0 on OnePlus 5/5T. If you have any questions about the update or the procedure, then leave a comment below.