OnePlus has finally announced Android Oreo Beta for its latest flagship. Using this guide, you can easily download and install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 5T.
After more than a month of waiting, OnePlus 5T users can now enjoy the latest Android version on their device. During the launch event, OnePlus disclosed that Android Oreo Beta should be arriving soon for both the OnePlus 5 and 5T. The former has already received the stable OOS 5.0. And finally, users can now install Android 8.0 Oreo on OnePlus 5T using Open Beta 1 release.
- Enable OnePlus 5T Star Wars Theme/Wallpapers on Any OnePlus 5T
- Download and Install OmniROM on OnePlus 5T (Android Oreo 8.0/8.1)
- Restore OnePlus 5T to Stock Firmware and Relock Bootlooader
- How to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T
Table of Contents
How to Install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 5T
Being able to enjoy the latest version of Android is a bliss for any smartphone user. As promised, the OEM has now finally released Android 8.0 Oreo for its latest bezel-less flagship.
The news first popped up through OnePlus Germany, where the manufacturer hinted of the OnePlus 5T Open Beta program, as a Christmas surprise. It took a bit of time before the Open Beta firmware was actually available for download.
Staff member – Teja Naga Bharan recently made the announcement at the OnePlus community. The aim of this build is to bring the latest features to the device and provide a more up-to-date experience to the users.
Before you even get down to the instructions and install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 5T, take a peek at the official highlights of this build.
- Based on Android 8.0 Oreo
- December 2017 security patch level
- Optimized the OnePlus launcher for app shortcuts
- Ability to upload photos to Shot on OnePlus
- Added Oreo features like Picture-in-Picture mode, Autofill Framework, Smart Text Selection, and more.
- Revamped Settings and Quick Setting Tiles
That’s quite a lot of features for a user to try. Since this is a Beta software, it might not be stable as an official build. However, if you really want to try out the latest firmware, then follow the steps below to install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 5T.
Note that there will be no OTA updates to move from stable OxygenOS 4.7.6 to Beta.
- Take a full backup of your Android phone. This will prevent any data loss during the process. You may follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
- Charge your 5T to at least 50-60% battery level.
Download OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 1
Open Beta 1 hotfix for OnePlus 5T is now available! Fixes green pictures while using third-party camera applications.
Steps to Install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 5T (Android Oreo)
Now there are two ways to update your device to Open Beta software. The method you choose depends on your phone’s current situation.
OxygenOS + Stock Recovery -> Method 1
Custom ROM/Rooted OxygenOS + TWRP recovery -> Method 2
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade Option
This is the easiest method to install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 5T. Your phone should be running OxygenOS along with stock recovery.
- Download the Open Beta full ROM zip from the link above.
- Connect your OnePlus 5T to the PC and enable ‘Transfer files’ mode.
- Copy the downloaded ROM file to the root of the internal storage. By “Root”, we mean outside all the folders.
- Disconnect the phone.
- Go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System updates’ and press the cog icon on the top-right.
- Select ‘Local upgrade‘ option.
- Press the Open Beta ROM filename.
- Then select ‘UPGRADE NOW’ to install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 5T.
The phone will boot into the stock recovery and install the update file. Once done, it will automatically reboot.
It is strongly recommended to wipe Cache from stock recovery after you have installed the update.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download the Open Beta zip and transfer it to your OnePlus 5T’s internal storage.
- Power off the device completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery.
- [Optional] If you are using a ROM other than OxygenOS, you will need to wipe your phone. So, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’ and select the following check boxes. Then swipe the button on the screen.
- Tap the ‘Install’ button on the main TWRP screen.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the file you transferred earlier.
- Once selected, swipe the button on the screen to install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 5T.
- After the flashing process is complete, press the ‘Reboot System’ button.
When your phone boots up, go through the on-screen instructions. Then go ahead and try all the new Android Oreo features on your OnePlus 5T. It is highly likely that this build may contain bugs. So if you face any issues related to the software, you can report it to OnePlus using bug report forum.
So there you go! You have just been able to install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 5T in a matter of minutes. If you have any problems regarding the new software or the procedure, let us know via the comments.