Android Oreo Beta build with Face Unlock feature is now available for the OnePlus 5. Follow the instructions to download and install OxygenOS Open Beta 3 on OnePlus 5.
OnePlus has recently been pretty active when it comes to delivering software updates. In the past two days, it has already released three builds for three different devices, including the first Oreo Open Beta for OnePlus 5T. OnePlus 5 received Android Oreo through Open Beta 1 in late November. After pushing the second Beta, OnePlus finally announced OxygenOS 5.0 on December 24. During this period, the developers squashed several bugs to make the user experience much enjoyable. The scene has progressed even further and you can now install OxygenOS Open Beta 3 on OnePlus 5.
Table of Contents
OxygenOS Open Beta 3 on OnePlus 5 – Changes and New Features
The OnePlus 5T features Face Unlock that quickly allows a user to unlock the device by recognizing his/her face.
For a long time now, several OnePlus users have requested the manufacturer for the highly anticipated feature. The company is, in fact, hearing out its users and has finally decided to bring the infamous Face Unlock feature to other devices too. For now, they are starting up with the OnePlus 5. To get the feature right now, follow the steps below to install OxygenOS Open Beta 3 on OnePlus 5.
The official announcement was made by Staff Member – Teja Naga Bharan at the OnePlus community. This new beta software brings a short list of changes mentioned below.
- December security patch level (2017)
- Added Face Unlock feature
- Added Recorder app shortcut on Launcher
- Optimizations for vibration
- Fixed connection issue of 5G Wi-Fi
- General bug fixes and improvements
As you can see, the OxygenOS Open Beta 3 on OnePlus 5 not only brings the nifty Face Unlock feature but also updates your device to reflect the latest security patches. Despite the recently discovered odds like Factory Mode in OxygenOS 5.0.1, OnePlus is working very hard to maintain its identity as a brand who listens to its customers.
Download OnePlus 5 Open Beta 3 Update
Mirror (Credits: Funk Wizard): AndroidFileHost
How to Install OxygenOS Open Beta 3 on OnePlus 5
Users running the previous Open Beta can easily update over-the-air. To check if the update has arrived on your device, go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System updates’. Those who haven’t received the notification can follow the steps below to manually install OxygenOS Open Beta 3 on OnePlus 5.
We have provided two different methods for this purpose. The method you choose depends upon your phone’s current situation. If you’re running stock OxygenOS, use Method 1. If your device is rooted or has custom ROM along with TWRP, follow method 2.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade (Non-rooted users)
- Download OxygenOS Open Beta 3 full ROM from the link above.
- Connect your OnePlus 5 to the PC and enable the ‘Transfer files’ mode.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the root of your phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the device.
- Go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System updates’.
- Press the cog icon on the top-right of the screen.
- Select ‘Local upgrade’ and tap on the ROM filename.
- Finally, choose ‘UPGRADE NOW’ to install OxygenOS Open Beta 3 on OnePlus 5.
Your phone will boot into the recovery and install the update automatically. It is strongly advised to ‘Wipe cache’ in stock recovery to avoid any unexpected bugs.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery (Rooted users)
- First, download the full ROM zip from the link above.
- Transfer the downloaded ROM package to the internal storage of the device.
- Once transferred, boot your OnePlus 5 into TWRP recovery mode:
- Power off the phone completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button until the OnePlus logo appears.
- [Custom ROM users] In TWRP, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’. Select the checkboxes as shown in the image below and swipe the button to wipe the device.
- On the TWRP main screen, press the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the full ROM zip.
- Once the file is selected, swipe the button on the screen to install OxygenOS Open Beta 3 on OnePlus 5.
- Note: Flashing the full ROM unroots your device completely and also replaces TWRP with the stock recovery. If you want to preserve both, then simply flash the latest Magisk installer zip before booting.
- When the flashing process is complete, press the ‘Reboot System’ button.
After your device boots, go ahead and try out the all-new Face Unlock feature in Settings. As far as my experience goes, the feature works quite well and the device gets unlocked pretty instantly.
So, you have just been able to download and install OxygenOS Open Beta 3 on OnePlus 5. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments below.