Xiaomi has started rolling out another security update for the Mi A1. You can follow the instructions in this post to download and install Xiaomi Mi A1 August 2018 security update (V220.127.116.11.ODHMIFE)
Every month, we talk about Android security updates for various devices. While some of these devices get the update as soon as Google announces it, like the Essential Phone, others would take some time. Despite being the part of the Android One program, the Mi A1 has often suffered from delayed updates. And if the updates landed on time, they would be called back due to some major issue.
This time, Xiaomi has pushed the latest monthly security update for the Mi A1 on 21st August, which is almost two weeks since the official bulletin was announced. The update has only started rolling out recently and will take some time before it reaches your phone. But if you wish to get it right now, then you can download Xiaomi Mi A1 August 2018 security update and install it using the instructions below.
Xiaomi Mi A1 August 2018 Security Update – What’s New?
One of our readers (@ShinyDeepaks) mentioned that he received the OTA notification yesterday. Which confirms that the update is already rolling out in India and should be carried over to other regions very soon. Before we head on to the instructions, let us take a brief look at what’s new in this specific update for the Mi A1.
The new build comes with build number OPM1.171019.019.V18.104.22.168.ODHMIFE and is still based on Android 8.1 Oreo. It brings August 2018 security patch according to the official changelog. For details on the vulnerabilities fixed in this update, kindly visit the official August security bulletin. The OTA weighs 474.4 MB to be precise.
Unofficially, the new update for the Mi A1 carries fixes for some widespread issues that have been reported by users. Those who have already updated have confirmed that the network fluctuation problem has been fixed. The second issue that has been fixed was first reported with the July security update. According to the reports, the notification LED light would not blink upon the arrival of messages, phone calls, and other app notifications.
To force check for the update on your Mi A1, go to Settings -> System -> System update and check for the OTA notification. If you have not received it till now and would like to update manually, then we have got you covered. You can follow the instructions below to download and install Xiaomi Mi A1 August 2018 security update right now. The credits go to 4PDA.ru moderator Displax for providing the TWRP and Fastboot flashable ROMs.
- Make sure to take a full backup of all your data on the phone. We suggest that you follow our guide on how to backup Android phones.
- Charge the Xiaomi Mi A1 to at least 50-60% battery level.
- In order to use Method 1, you must install TWRP recovery on Mi A1 or boot it temporarily.
Download Xiaomi Mi A1 August 2018 Security Update
TWRP Flashable ROM: tissot-T-OPM1.171019.026.V22.214.171.124.ODHMIFE.zip
Fastboot Image: tissot-F-OPM1.171019.026.V126.96.36.199.ODHMIFE.zip
How to Install Xiaomi Mi A1 August 2018 Security Update
There are two different methods to install August 2018 security update on the Mi A1. Method 1 will guide you to flash the ROM via TWRP recovery. It will best suit users who have rooted and have the recovery installed. Method 2, on the other hand, is for those who would want to install without TWRP and use the flash the Fastboot image.
Method 1: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download Xiaomi Mi A1 August 2018 security update TWRP Flashable ZIP.
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable and transfer the ZIP file to the phone’s storage.
- Disconnect the phone and power it off.
- Press the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery.
- (Optional): If you’re using a custom ROM, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’ and wipe the ‘Cache’, ‘Dalvik/ART Cache’, ‘Data’ and ‘System’ partitions.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate the internal storage and select the TWRP flashable ZIP file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install Xiaomi Mi August 2018 security update.
- When the flashing process is finished, hit ‘Reboot System’
Method 2: Using Fastboot
- Download Xiaomi Mi A1 August 2018 security update Fastboot image.
- Power off the device.
- Press the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to enter Fastboot mode.
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Extract the downloaded fastboot image and double-click on the ‘flash_all_except_storage.bat’ file to install Xiaomi Mi A1 August 2018 security update.
- The script will clear all the data except the internal storage.
- When finished, the phone will reboot automatically.
When the phone boots, it shall be running the latest stable 188.8.131.52 firmware with August 2018 Android security patch. Like any previous update, this one also brings certain improvements to the overall system and performance. Plus, it also fixes the network fluctuation and notification LED bugs as stated above. Although the update might have arrived pretty late but was still worth the wait since it arrived with the latest security patches and important bug fixes.
So, you have finally been able to download Xiaomi Mi A1 August 2018 security update and install it on your phone. If you have any queries regarding the process, please leave a comment below to let us know.