Through this post, you can download and install Android Pie update on LG V30, LG V30+, and LG V30S. This could be done easily by flashing the Android Pie KDZ or TWRP-flashable zip.
Back in 2018, LG announced that it has opened up a Global Software Update Center with an aim to roll out quicker software updates for its smartphones. Despite that, the OEM still managed to stay way far behind when it came to releasing Android Pie update for its devices. Almost all other manufacturers have already rolled out Pie for many of their high-end to entry-level devices.
The company even published a roadmap, which happened to miss out the LG V30, and several other of the OEM’s devices. However, the good news is that the LG V30 Android Pie update is now rolling out and it is also available for the LG V30+ and V30S. And as always, the OTA update is being rolled out in phases, depending on the device region, carrier, and model.
Recommended: How to Root LG V30/V30+/V30S on Android Pie
If the update has not yet arrived on your phone, then the instructions below will help you manually install Android Pie update on LG V30, LG V30+, and LG V30S. Note that the files provided here and the corresponding instructions are only for the European Open Market models (H930, H930G, H930D, and H930DS).
- 1 What’s new in Android Pie for LG V30/V30+/V30S?
- 2 Before You Proceed
- 3 Download LG V30 Android Pie Firmware
- 4 How to Manually Install Android Pie Update on LG V30, V30+, and V30S
What’s new in Android Pie for LG V30/V30+/V30S?
Before you head down to the instructions, let’s take a quick rundown of all the features and changes that the LG V30 Android Pie update brings.
Being a major version upgrade, Android Pie brings a lot of significant changes and new features to your phone. Some of them include the new AI-powered Adaptive Battery and Brightness, a more intuitive gesture-based navigation, App Actions & Slices, etc.
Android Pie also brings a major overhaul to the UI such as the Quick Settings menu, Notification bar, device settings menu and more. Another major feature is ‘Digital Wellbeing’. It is a set of tools/features that Google developed to help you track your phone’s usage and adjust it for good. For the complete list of Android Pie features, visit this link.
With LG UX sitting atop, you can expect a lot of new LG’s own features and changes with regards to the OS and the proprietary apps like Camera, Dialer, Contacts, etc. Last but not least, the update comes with the PQ1.190414.001 build number and July 2019 security patches.
It is not possible to currently unlock the phone’s bootloader on Android Pie. If you wish to install TWRP and root LG V30, you must first unlock the bootloader (On Oreo) before upgrading.
If your phone’s bootloader is already unlocked, then it will stay that way even after installing Android Pie update on your LG V30/V30+/V30s using this method.
Before You Proceed
Ensure that all the of the requirements mentioned below are met before you head on to the instructions.
- Manually updating your phone may sometimes require you to wipe the data including the internal storage. Although method 1 will help you update your phone without wiping any data, method 2 requires making a full wipe of all the data stored on the phone, including the internal storage. So, make sure that you take a complete backup first.
- Charge your LG V30 to a sufficient battery level. This will avoid any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
- Download and install the latest LG Mobile USB Drivers on your PC.
- (For Method 1 only) You must install the patched LGUP tool with support for developer mode on your PC. To do so, follow the list of steps below:
- Download the ‘LGUP_DualMode.zip‘ file on your PC.
- Extract the zip file to a suitable location.
- Run the ‘LGUP_Store_Frame_Ver_1_14_3.msi’ executable file and install LGUP tool on your PC.
- Once installed, go to the extracted folder, right-click on ‘SetDev.bat’ file.
- Select ‘Run as administrator’ to set the LGUP tool to Developer Mode.
- Now, when you’re asked to launch the LGUP tool in the instructions below, simply launch it using the desktop shortcut.
Download LG V30 Android Pie Firmware
There are two different ways to manually upgrade your phone and install this update. And thus, there are two different firmware files. Depending on the method you choose, download the corresponding Android Pie firmware for your LG V30 from below.
KDZ (For Method 1)
- Filename: H93030b_00_OPEN_EU_OP_0704.kdz
TWRP-flashable ZIP (For Method 2)
- Filename: TWRP-H930_30b_ARB00_OPEN_EU_OP_0704_(V3).zip
We cannot go ahead without thanking XDA RC ChazzMatt, along with a few other forum members for uploading the KDZ firmware and sharing the download links. Furthermore, our thanks go to XDA RD seadersn for providing a TWRP-flashable zip of the stock KDZ firmware.
How to Manually Install Android Pie Update on LG V30, V30+, and V30S
Now, there are two different methods to manually install Android Pie on LG V30/V30+/V30S.
The first method is for those who are running stock unrooted firmware. The second method for those who have TWRP installed on their LG V30 device. So, depending on what you’re using, follow the corresponding method.
Method 1: By Flashing Android Pie KDZ Firmware using LGUP Tool
- Download Android Pie KDZ file for your LG V30/V30+/V30S on the PC.
- Power off your phone completely.
- While holding the Volume Up button, connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Your LG V30 should now be in Download Mode.
- Launch the patched LGUP Tool on your PC (See #4 of the ‘Before you proceed’ section).
- LGUP tool should run on your PC and detect your phone.
- Select the ‘Upgrade’ option located in the ‘Process’ section of the tool.
- Then, select the downloaded Android Pie KDZ file (H93030b_00_OPEN_EU_OP_0704.kdz).
- Finally, click on the ‘Start’ button to install Android Pie update on your LG V30/ V30+/V30S.
The flashing process could take a few minutes to complete. Once finished, the phone will reboot automatically.
Method 2: By Flashing Android Pie TWRP-Flashable ZIP
- Download the Android Pie TWRP-flashable zip, Magisk-v19.3.zip, and AK3_RCTD_Remover.zip on the PC.
- Connect your LG V30 to the PC and transfer all the downloaded files to the phone’s storage.
- Now, boot your LG V30 into TWRP recovery mode.
- Go to the ‘Wipe‘ menu in TWRP and swipe the ‘Swipe to Factory Reset‘ button to perform a factory reset.
- Go back to the TWRP main screen and tap on the ‘Install‘ button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the Android Pie TWRP-flashable file (TWRP-H930_30b_ARB00_OPEN_EU_OP_0704_(V3).zip).
- Once selected, tap on the ‘Add more Zips‘ button and use it to add ‘Magisk-v19.3.zip‘ and ‘AK3_RCTD_Remover.zip‘ files to the flashing queue.
- Finally, flash the files by swiping the ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash‘ button.
- When the flashing process finishes, go back to the ‘Wipe‘ menu in TWRP.
- Tap on ‘Format Data‘ and enter ‘yes‘ in the provided field.
- Go to the Reboot menu and tap on ‘Recovery‘ to reboot your LG V30 back into TWRP recovery mode.
- Now, go to the ‘Mount‘ menu in TWRP and tap on the ‘Enable MTP‘ button.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the Magisk installer zip file to the phone’s storage. The file was deleted when you formatted data in step #10.
- Once the file has been transferred, go to the ‘Install’ menu and flash it.
- Finally, tap on the ‘Reboot System‘ button.
Now that you have installed the Android Pie update on your phone, go ahead and explore the new features that it offers. There are tons of new features forked into the OS now, most of which are powered by AI technology to adapt to your usage.
Although LG has arrived quite late with Pie for the LG V30, it has definitely arrived for the good. The update seems quite stable and free of any major bugs. We hope that the OEM will further roll out Android Pie update for the rest of the supported LG devices.
So, this was our tutorial on how to manually install Android Pie update on LG V30, LG V30+, and LG V30S. Again, a huge thanks to XDA RC ChazzMatt and other forum members who have contributed with the firmware files. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, feel free to drop a comment below.