You can now request the unlock codes for LG’s latest flagship. Today, in this guide, we will show you how to unlock bootloader on LG V30 using the official method.
LG released three different devices this year that offer the Full Vision display. The latest of which is the LG V30, which is also their strongest suit yet. While the device has been on the market for the last few months, there has been a lot of chatter among the developer community regarding the bootloader unlock process. Surprisingly, the manufacturer has finally added support for the device. So you can now go ahead, request the unlock code, and unlock bootloader on LG V30.
- How to Unlock LG G6 Bootloader (H870 and US997)
- Guide to Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL
- How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5T
- How to Install LG V30 Camera App on LG G6 (Port)
Unlock Bootloader on LG V30
LG offers its own in-house solution to unlock bootloader on the devices. The OEM came up with the idea in 2015 to help support third-party development on their hardware.
Up until now, there has been no sight of support for the LG V30. But it seems like LG is equally keen and has recently added the said device to the support list. If you are looking forward to customizing your device with custom ROMs, or mods like ViPER4Android and Xposed Framework, then you will first need to unlock the bootloader on LG V30.
Unlocking the bootloader will give you the freedom to freely flash your device with third-party firmwares and mods. It is also the foremost requirement if you wish to install TWRP on the device.
It is worth noting that currently only the single SIM V30 variant with H930 model in Europe and H930G in Italy are supported. There’s no news about the US998 (US Unlocked) model yet.
Before you unlock bootloader on LG V30, take a note of a few things. First, that the unlock process could not be reverted. So you wouldn’t be able to relock your device. The process will also wipe your device completely and it shall no longer be covered under the LG warranty.
Before you get to the steps to unlock bootloader on LG V30, make sure to fulfill all the stated requirements.
- The instructions are only meant for the LG V30 model number H930 and H930G. Do not try them on any other variant or model.
- This process will wipe off your phone’s data including internal storage. You may follow our guide on how to backup Android devices and take a full backup of your V30.
- You must install Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC.
- Your V30 must have USB debugging enabled.
Instructions to Unlock Bootloader on LG V30
We have split the steps into parts for you to easily understand the process. In step number 1, we will be acquiring the device ID which is required for retrieving the unlock code. In the next, step we’ll show you how to flash the unlock code using Fastboot commands.
Step 1: Get The Device ID
The first step to unlock bootloader on LG V30 is to acquire the individual device ID.
- Connect your LG V30 to the PC via the USB cable.
- Go to C:\adb folder (Prerequisites, #3).
- Inside this folder, press and hold the SHIFT key on your keyboard and right-click on an empty space. Select ‘Open command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here’ from the menu.
- Finally, enter the following command to reboot your V30 into bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device enters Bootloader mode, fetch the device ID using:
fastboot oem device-id
- The CMD/PowerShell shall return a string like the following:
(bootloader)----------------------------------------------------------- (bootloader) Device-ID (bootloader) HF6DJUGFA38D6B613ED51KJFDKGYE439 (bootloader) FDHJ90BD029891DBBC7593E8EF8789B1 (bootloader)-----------------------------------------------------------
- The device ID is the two lines of random numbers. So copy the two lines and put them together.
- Now that you have the device ID follow the next step to unlock bootloader on LG V30.
Keep the phone connected to the PC as it is and also leave the CMD/PowerShell window open. We will need them in step 3.
Step 2: Fill The Unlock Bootloader Form
- Open LG Unlock Bootloader page on your PC.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on ‘Start Unlocking the Bootloader’.
- On the next page, you shall be asked to log in to your LG account. So do it.
- Once you have logged in, you shall see the unlock bootloader form.
- Input the required details.
- Then, click on the ‘Phone’ drop-down menu and select the model number – H930 or H930G.
- Next, input your LG V30’s IMEI number. You can either find it in the phone’s box or by entering *#06# in the dialer.
- Finally, enter the device ID that you gathered in Step 1.
- When everything is done, click on ‘Confirm’.
- The unlock code (unlock.bin file) shall be sent to your email address. This is the file that we need to flash to unlock bootloader on LG V30.
- Open the email and download the attached ‘unlock.bin’ file.
Step 3: Flash ‘Unlock.bin’ Using Fastboot
- Copy the downloaded file to C:\adb where all the ADB and Fastboot files are present.
- Now, flash the unlock file to unlock bootloader on LG V30:
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
- When the unlock process is complete, reboot your V30 back into the OS.
Now that you have unlocked the bootloader, you can freely install custom recoveries like TWRP and flash custom ROMs on the device.
There you go! You have just been able to unlock bootloader on LG V30. If you have any questions regarding the process, then let us know through the comments.