You can now download and install TWRP on Moto G7 and Moto G7 Plus. With that, you can further root Moto G7/Moto G7 Plus using Magisk. The instructions for the same have been listed in the sections below in a step-by-step manner.
This year, Motorola too dipped its fingers into the notch scene with its latest G series devices. Both the Motorola Moto G7 and Moto G7 Plus were launched earlier this year, featuring a waterdrop notch with quite an affordable price tag.
While the phones may definitely be a value for the buck, but Motorola is long known for irregular and delayed support when it comes to software updates. Also, the stock firmware that comes pre-installed on these phones isn’t a stronghold when it comes to customization. It is all but basically stock AOSP software with Motorola’s proprietary apps sitting atop.
Well, in either case, you might want to install a custom ROM on your Moto G7 device. This will not only give you a plethora of options to customize the software but also help you keep your phone updated with the latest Android security patch. But in order to do that, you must first install a custom recovery like TWRP on your Moto G7/Moto G7 Plus.
Furthermore, if you’d like, you can also root your phone using Magisk, that certainly has its perks. For starters, you can install Modules to add third-party features to the software or use MagiskHide to hide root from certain apps that might detect it.
The instructions below will help you easily install TWRP recovery and root Moto G7/G7 Plus using Magisk.
Warning and Disclaimer
Installing TWRP and rooting is not for the faint of hearts. Make sure that you fully understand the risks involved and the instructions in this guide before you read ahead.
TheCustomDroid.com or any of its members shall not be held liable for any damage caused to your Motorola Moto G7 or Moto G7 Plus during or after performing the instructions listed here.
Before you head over to the instructions, make sure that you fulfill each and every requirement stated below.
- Take a complete backup of all your data stored on the phone. Although the process of installing TWRP and rooting the phone will not wipe any data, we still strongly recommend taking a backup in case anything goes wrong.
- In order to perform any instructions below, you must first unlock the bootloader of your Moto G7/G7 Plus. You can follow our guide on how to do it. Note that unlocking the bootloader wipes all the data stored on the phone, including the internal storage. So, we cannot emphasize more on how important it is to backup all the data.
- Download and install Android SDK platform-tools (ADB and Fastboot) on your PC. You can alternatively use the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool.
- Also, install Motorola USB drivers on your PC.
- Charge your Moto G7 device to a sufficient battery level to avoid it from shutting down during the process.
- Download the TWRP recovery image for your device and Magisk installer zip files. Transfer all these files to your phone’s internal storage.
- TWRP for Moto G7 (codename: river): twrp-3.3.1-0-river.img
- TWRP for Moto G7 Plus (codename: lake): twrp-3.3.1-0-lake.img
- Latest Magisk Installer zip from here
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Moto G7/Moto G7 Plus
Since the Moto G7 devices support the new A/B partition scheme, installing TWRP on it is a two-step process. First, you will need to temporarily boot the TWRP recovery image using fastboot and then flash the recovery image using the ‘Install Recovery Ramdisk’ option. Just follow the instructions below.
- Download the TWRP recovery image for your Moto G7/Moto G7 Plus.
- Copy the download image file to the folder where the ADB and Fastboot binaries are installed (e.g. C:\adb).
- Hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ option from the menu that appears.
- Now, power off your Moto G7 device completely.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together to boot your phone into Bootloader Mode.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Enter the following command in the PowerShell window to confirm that your phone is being detected over fastboot:
- The output should be a device ID. If it doesn’t show any devices connected, then make sure that you have installed the appropriate USB drivers on your PC.
- Now, enter the command below to temporarily boot TWRP:
- Your phone should now enter into TWRP recovery mode.
- In TWRP, go to the ‘Advanced’ menu.
- Tap on the ‘Install Recovery Ramdisk’ option.
- Navigate to the phone’s internal storage and select the TWRP recovery image file.
- Finally, swipe the button to permanently install TWRP on Moto G7/Moto G7 Plus.
Once the file has been flashed, go back to the TWRP main menu. Do not reboot your phone into the system yet. Permanently installing TWRP modifies the boot partition and will trigger DM-Verity when the device boots. And thus it will cause a bootloop.
To fix this, head to the next section to flash the Magisk installer zip to root Moto G7/Moto G7 Plus and disable DM-Verity subsequently.
How to Root Moto G7/Moto G7 Plus using Magisk
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button in TWRP recovery.
- Navigate to the directory where the Magisk installer zip file was transferred.
- Select the ‘Magisk-v19.3.zip’ file.
- Then swipe the ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash’ button to flash the file and root Moto G7/Moto G7 Plus using Magisk.
- Once the flashing process finishes, tap on the ‘Reboot System’ button.
When your phone boots, it should be rooted with Magisk. You can go ahead and launch the Magisk Manager app. You can use it to manage superuser permissions, install modules for additional features, or use MagiskHide to hide root from certain root-detecting apps.
There you go! This was our comprehensive guide on how to install TWRP and root Moto G7/Moto G7 Plus. If you face any issues while performing the procedure, then you can let us know by commenting below.