HMD Global has now started rolling out Android 10-based January 2020 security update for Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus. If you haven’t got the OTA notification yet, then you can manually upgrade your phone right now. Through this post, you can download Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Android 10 OTA update and manually install it right now. This could be done by installing Android OTA zip package using ADB sideload in stock recovery.
Right before Google officially announced Android 10, HMD’s CPO Juho Sarvikas shared the Android 10 update schedule for supported Nokia devices. Following the same, the manufacturer has already rolled out the update for several devices including the Nokia 8.1, Nokia 9 Pureview, and Nokia 7.1. And now, HMD has started pushing Android 10 for Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus as announced by Juho Sarvikas on Twitter.
The update has already started rolling out to the users in various regions. However, in case you still haven’t received it, you can follow the steps in this guide to manually install Nokia 6.1/6.1 Plus Android 10 Update.
Recommended: Download Google Camera Port for Nokia Phones
Android 10 for Nokia 6.1 & Nokia 6.1 Plus – New Features and Changes
Being a major Android version bump from Pie, Android 10 carries an abundance of new features. Let’s start with the System-wide Dark Theme. When turned on, it will swap the complete system UI colors to darker colors which makes it easy to view the phone’s screen in a low-light environment. What’s even more interesting is that the feature also extends to the installed apps on your phone.
The next major feature that Android 10 brings to the Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus is improved gesture-navigation. Google first introduced this in Android Pie and you might already be using it now. But Android 10 further upgrades the navigation by getting rid of all the navbar buttons. This means, you can easily use swipes and pulls to go back and switch between recent apps more easily.
Another interesting feature offered by Android 10 is “Smart Reply” in notifications. Based on your usage, the OS will now predict responses and suggest actions to your messages. Android 10 also gives you more control over the privacy and location permissions that you grant to apps. This gives you much granular control over the permissions and allows you to manage all of them in one place.
That’s not all. Android 10 for Nokia 6.1/6.1 Plus brings a lot of other new features and changes as well. For the full list, I suggest you visit the official website.
The latest Android 10 update comes with the “V4.10D” software build number and carries the January 2020 security patches. The OTA weighs just 53 MB for the Nokia 6.1 and 16 MB for the Nokia 6.1 Plus. To force-check for the update, go to ‘Settings’ → ‘System’ → ‘System updates’ on your device.
According to several reports from Reddit, the update is already available in regions like India. Since it will be rolling out in stages, it could take some time before you get the update on your phone. In that case, you can download Nokia 6.1/Nokia 6.1 Plus Android 10 OTA update package from below and follow the given instructions to install it manually.
Before you head to the instructions, make sure that you fulfill the requirements listed below. This will ensure that the OTA installation process goes smoothly.
- Take a full backup of all your data first. I can’t help but emphasize this more. Although installing the Android 10 update using the instructions provided here will not erase any data, it is still a good idea to have a backup if anything goes wrong.
- Charge your Nokia 6.1 Plus to a sufficient battery level to prevent it from powering down during the update process.
- Download the latest Android SDK platform-tools package and follow this guide to install it on your PC.
- When asked to launch the command-line window on your PC during the instructions, do the following:
- PowerShell in Windows: Open the folder where ADB and fastboot are installed (e.g. C:\plaftorm-tools). Then hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder. Finally, select the “Open PowerShell window here” option.
- Terminal in macOS/Linux: Launch the Terminal window and use the “cd” command to change its directory to the folder where ADB and fastboot are installed. For example, if you installed it to /Documents/platform-tools, then you should use the following command to change the directory:
Download Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Android 10 OTA
You can download the Android 10 OTA zip package from below. It can be installed over any previous Android Pie or Android 10 internal build installed on your phone. Following the first stable update, all OTA zips are incremental in nature and should be installed in the given order. For example: If your phone is running Android Pie, you must first sideload the 4.10C Android 10 OTA, followed by 4.10D January security update, and so on.
Update (11 February 2020): Android 10-based January 2020 security update is now available for Nokia 6.1 and 6.1 Plus. The OTA links for the same have been added below.
- Stable Android 10 OTA (V4.10C)
- Download link (Android Pie > Android 10): c6260831df0acdfe9828f18bcea7ffb556f4b2e5.zip
- Rename to “PL2-410C-0-00WW-B03-update.zip“
- January 2020 Security Update (V4.10D): b658c406fa597c15835069289fdd18ade3fe2348.zip
Nokia 6.1 Plus
- Stable Android 10 OTA (V4.10C)
- Download link (Android Pie > Android 10): 07330e258c1095c5eea9e1b697bb4ea8d92ebc9e.zip
- Rename to “DRG-410C-0-00WW-B03-update.zip“
- January 2020 Security Update (V4.10D): 731b6d59f928082fe22c6bd398c7ebfc6407fffb.zip
Instructions to Install Android 10 OTA on Nokia 6.1/Nokia 6.1 Plus
Now, just follow the steps below to install Android 10 OTA zip using ADB Sideload in stock recovery.
- Download Nokia 6.1/6.1 Plus Android 10 OTA package.
- Move the downloaded OTA zip file to the folder on the PC where Android platform-tools are installed (e.g. C:\platform-tools).
- Launch the command-line window on the PC (See pointer 3.2 in “Prerequisites”).
- Now, power off your phone completely.
- Hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together to boot your phone into the stock recovery mode.
- When you see the “No Command” message on the screen, tap the Volume Up button once while holding the Power button.
- Connect the phone to the PC while it is in stock recovery mode.
- Use the Volume buttons to select the “Apply update from ADB” option and press the Power button to confirm.
- Now, enter the following command in PowerShell/Terminal window to ensure that your phone is being detected by the PC over ADB:
- Finally, install Nokia 6.1/6.1 Plus Android 10 OTA update by entering the following command:
adb sideload ota-package-filename
- Replace “ota-package-filename” with actual name of the OTA zip file. For example:
adb sideload c6260831df0acdfe9828f18bcea7ffb556f4b2e5.zip
- The installation process will begin and may take a few minutes to finish. Do not disconnect the phone from the PC.
- Once finished, reboot your phone into the OS by using the “Reboot system now” option.
That’s it! Your Nokia phone should now boot into the updated Android 10 OS with January 2020 security patches. Go ahead and start exploring all the new features like system-wide Dark Theme, improved gesture navigation, Location, and Privacy Controls, and more.
HMD has indeed done a fantastic job in rolling out Android 10 to Nokia devices as per the schedule. According to the published schedule, the Nokia 4.2, Nokia 3.2, Nokia 3.1 Plus, and Nokia 2.2 should be next in line to get this update.
You have just succeeded to download and install Nokia 6.1/6.1 Plus Android 10 update. If you have any questions related to the procedure described above, please feel free to ask me by commenting below.