HMD Global has started rolling out the stable Android 10 update for Nokia 7 Plus users worldwide. The update is currently being rolled out over-the-air. If you haven’t got the OTA notification yet, then you can download Nokia 7 Plus Android 10 OTA update package from this post and follow the instructions to install it manually. You can install it either by using the in-built update mechanism or by using ADB sideload in stock recovery.
Nokia has made a strong presence in the smartphone market, especially due to its tremendous software support. The OEM has already released Android 10 for Nokia 8.1, Nokia 9 Pureview, and Nokia 7.1, as per the promised schedule. And now, after the Nokia 6.1 Plus and Nokia 6.1, HMD has successively rolled out the Android 10 update for the Nokia 7 Plus too. The official announcement was made by Nokia Mobile on Twitter.
The Nokia 7 Plus Android 10 update comes with the “V4.10C” software build number and December 2019 security patches. The OTA being rolled out is 1.4 GB (1422.3 MB) in size, which is quite large considering it’s a major Android version upgrade. It is already available for the users in India and Thailand according to several reports from Reddit. To force-check for the update, go to ‘Settings’ → ‘System’ → ‘System update’ on your phone and hit the ‘Check for update’ button.
Since the rollout takes place in stages, it may take some time before the update is actually available in every region. In that case, you can download the OTA zip package and manually install Nokia 7 Plus Android 10 update. Now, before you get to the download link and instructions, let’s take a quick peek at what new features and changes this update brings.
What’s new in Android 10 for Nokia 7 Plus?
Android 10 brings a heap of new features to the table for Nokia 7 Plus users. The first biggest feature is system-wide Dark Theme, which turns the complete system UI to darker colors. This not only makes it easier to view the screen in low-light conditions but also helps conserve some battery life. The best part is that Android 10’s Dark Theme also extends to most Google apps and other installed apps on the phone.
The new and improved gesture navigation in Android 10 makes navigating the system much easier and more intuitive. You can easily use swipes and pulls to go back, jump to the home screen, and switch between recently opened apps.
Privacy controls are a big plus of Android 10. The new settings allow you to have more granular control over the permissions that are granted to individual apps. You also get more options to control how individual apps use your location. You can allow it all the time, while in use, or never.
Smart Reply is another feature that analyzes your usage to suggest responses and actions based on the type of messages you receive. Live Captions can caption videos, audios, podcasts, even when your phone is not connected to the internet. There is a long list of other features as well, just head over to the official website for more information on these.
According to the OTA notification, following is the complete changelog:
- Dark mode – Take it easy on your eyes
- Smart reply – Save more time with recommended actions
- Gesture navigation – Get around with a swipe and a pull
- Additional controls for privacy and location
- Google Security Patch (2019-12)
Ensure that you fulfill all the requirements listed below before you follow the instructions to install Nokia 7 Plus Android 10 update manually.
- Take a complete backup of all your data firsthand. Manually installing the OTA update using the provided instructions will not erase any data. However, it’s still strongly recommended to safeguard your important data if anything goes wrong. For instructions on how to backup, refer to this post.
- Charge your Nokia phone to a sufficient battery level. This will ensure that the phone doesn’t switch off during the update process.
- For Method 2 only:
- Download the latest ADB and Fastboot package from here and install it on your PC using these instructions.
- When asked to launch the command line window:
- PowerShell in Windows: Open the folder where ADB and fastboot are installed (e.g. C:\plaftorm-tools). Then hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder. Finally, select the “Open PowerShell window here” option.
- Terminal in macOS/Linux: Launch the Terminal window and use the “cd” command to change its directory to the folder where ADB and fastboot are installed. For example, if you installed it to /Documents/platform-tools, then you should use the following command to change the directory:
- Basic knowledge of using command-line.
Download Nokia 7 Plus Android 10 OTA Update
The provided Android 10 OTA update file is available as a zip package and can be installed on any Nokia 7 Plus running Android Pie firmware.
Note: Make sure to rename the downloaded package as mentioned.
- Stable Android 10 Update (V4.10C) – December 2019 Security Patch
- Download link: afd338bfb14d447b716c220424b2ad2c66213183.zip
- Rename to “B2N-410C-0-00WW-B03-update.zip”
Instructions to Manually Install Nokia 7 Plus Android 10 Update
There are two different methods to install Android 10 OTA update on your Nokia 7 Plus. You can either use the in-built update mechanism, which is the easiest. However, if it doesn’t work for some reason, you can alternatively use ADB sideload in stock recovery. Both methods have been provided in detail below.
Method 1: Using the In-built Update Mechanism
- Download Android 10 OTA zip package for Nokia 7 Plus.
- Rename the downloaded OTA package to “B2N-410C-0-00WW-B03-update.zip”.
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded OTA package to the root (Outside all folders) of the phone’s storage.
- Disconnect the phone from the PC once the file has been transferred successfully.
- Now, open the dialer app on the phone and enter the following code in the dialer to install Nokia 7 Plus Android 10 update:
- The installation process will begin immediately.
- After the update is finished, your phone will reboot and the OTA package will be deleted from the internal storage automatically.
Method 2: Using ADB Sideload in Stock Recovery
- Download Nokia 7 Plus Android 10 OTA package.
- Rename the downloaded OTA file to “B2N-410C-0-00WW-B03-update.zip”.
- Move the OTA package to the folder on the PC where Android platform-tools are installed (e.g. C:\platform-tools).
- Launch the command-line window on the PC (See pointer 3.2 in “Prerequisites”).
- Now, power off your phone completely.
- Hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together to boot your Nokia 7 Plus into the stock recovery mode.
- When you see the “No Command” message on the screen, tap the Volume Up button once while holding the Power button.
- Connect the phone to the PC while it is in stock recovery mode.
- Use the Volume buttons to select the “Apply update from ADB” option and press the Power button to confirm.
- Now, enter the following command in PowerShell/Terminal window to ensure that your phone is being detected by the PC over ADB:
- Finally, install Nokia 7 Plus Android 10 OTA update by entering the following command:
adb sideload B2N-410C-0-00WW-B03-update.zip
- The installation process will begin and may take a few minutes to finish. Do not disconnect the phone from the PC.
- Once finished, reboot your phone into the OS by using the “Reboot system now” option.
Your phone should now boot into the updated OS with Android 10 and December 2019 security patches. Go ahead and explore all the new features that this update brings. If you face any unusual bugs/issues, please let us know as well.
HMD has truly done a great job pushing Android 10 for not one or two, but three Nokia phones in a day. You don’t see many Android OEMs doing the same, do you? Well done!
So, you have just been able to download and install Nokia 7 Plus Android 10 OTA update manually. If you have any questions regarding the methods used or the update itself, please leave a comment below.