If you’ve already got your hands on the latest iteration of the Mi Mix series, then here’s the easiest method to root the phone and enjoy some third-party goodies. In this tutorial, we will show you how to root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S and install TWRP recovery on it.
Xiaomi is now one of the most renowned Android manufacturers worldwide. Every year, the OEM releases a couple of devices that would lie from low to high-end price spectrum. The company came with its first bezel-less design back in 2016 with the announcement of the Mi Mix series. This year, in 2018, Xiaomi has announced the Mi Mix 2S, the successor to last year’s Mi Mix 2, with some refinements and upgraded hardware. The device is only available in China at the moment, but could also be bought using online resellers. Anyhow, if you have got your hands on it, then here’s your chance to tweak up the software. The method below will provide a detailed explanation on how to install TWRP recovery and root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S.
Guide to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
The Mi Mix 2S sports the powerful Snapdragon 845 chipset and 5.99-inches full HD+ display. The phone has very slim bezels on three edges and a 5 MP camera lens located at the bottom right. When it comes to the software, the latest Xiaomi beast comes with MIUI 9.5 based on Android 8.0 Oreo. Which means you’ll get to enjoy all the customizable goodness with the MIUI skin. There’s yet another feature that has been a major addition. This is the new on-screen navigation gestures, just as you would have seen on the iPhone X.
Before you go ahead with the procedure and root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S, take a look at a few benefits of installing TWRP recovery and rooting the phone.
If you have had experience with an Android device previously, you’d have come around the word ‘Rooting’ more likely. Basically, it allows you to access the Android sub-system and customize just about anything. In order to root, you must first install TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S. A custom recovery, such as TWRP, in this case, will not only enable you to root but also allow you to flash mods, custom ROMs, kernels, and almost anything that you throw at it.
Thanks to Xiaomi EU forum member ingbrzy, we now have hands on an unofficial TWRP build for the device. We aren’t sure if the provided image was compiled by the provider or not, but rest assured, it works like a charm. Users can easily install this TWRP recovery image on their unlocked device and root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S using Magisk.
- It is very important to take a full backup of your Xiaomi device before following the procedure. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
- Charge the phone to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the process.
- You must first unlock Mi Mix 2S bootloader. You can also follow our guide here for this purpose.
- In order to install TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S, you must also install Android SDK tools on the PC.
Make sure to fulfill all the stated requirements before you follow the instructions below to root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S.
Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
- Download TWRP recovery for Mi Mix 2S.
- Extract the downloaded ‘TWRP_polaris.zip’ file.
- Copy the extracted ‘twrp.img’ file to C:\adb, where the ADB/Fastboot binaries are present.
- Hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Power off Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Connect the device to the PC using the USB cable.
- Enter the following command to install TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
After flashing, do not boot the device into the OS yet. The second step in order to root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S is to format the data partition.
Format Data Partition
- Simply hold the Volume Up and Power button until the phone powers off and boots into TWRP.
- Go to ‘Wipe’ > ‘Format Data’.
- Finally, enter ‘Yes’ in the provided field.
- The device will be formatted completely.
How to Root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S?
- Download the latest Magisk root ZIP.
- Go to the ‘Mount’ menu in TWRP recovery.
- Tap on ‘Enable MTP’.
- Connect the device to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the ‘Magisk-v16.3.zip’ file to the internal storage.
- Disconnect the device.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the Magisk ZIP file.
- Finally, swipe the button at the bottom of the screen to root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S.
Once the flashing process is complete, hit the ‘Reboot System’ button. The phone will boot into the OS and should be rooted with Magisk now. Go through the on-screen instructions and setup the device.
Now that your phone is rooted, you can start using root-enabled apps or install Magisk modules to add extra features to the software. On the other hand, you can use TWRP recovery to flash custom ROMs/kernels and even install MIUI 9.5 Global ROM. So this was our guide on how to root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S and install TWRP recovery on it. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, then leave a comment below.