Whether you need to root your device, flash a custom recovery or tweak your system via various Magisk modules, the first requirement in all of these is that you should have an unlocked bootloader. In this tutorial, we will show you how to unlock bootloader on the OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro.
OnePlus devices have never failed to please the masses. Evolving at such a great pace, there is always quite a buzz every year surrounding its launch. And this time too it was nothing different. With a near bezel-less display, huge 12GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage, plus an impressive 48MP camera, OnePlus 7 Pro caught the eyes of one and all.
And if you are among the flasholics who is constantly in search of modifying their devices, you would be aware that we need to unlock our bootloader first in order to get access to our system files (via root, which is only possible after unlocking). Not only root, but flashing a fastboot ROM or even a custom ROM requires an unlocked bootloader. So in this guide, we will guide you on how to unlock bootloader of your OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro.
Guide to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro
Unlocking a bootloader might seem a daunting task to many, especially for those coming from a Xiaomi device. But that is not the case here. Just a single line of code and you are good to go. Unlocking a bootloader comes with a lot of benefits as well. Not only you could flash a custom recovery, but you could easily root your device. And rooting opens a door for plenty of new things.
For example, you could theme the UI using Substratum, install Magisk Modules for additional features, tweak your system via various mods, remove unnecessary pre-installed apps, govern your CPU, overclock it, etc.
So if you are ready to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro, just follow the instructions below.
- [IMPORTANT] Make a complete backup of your data as all the data on your internal storage would be erased.
- Sufficiently charge your device.
- Enable OEM Unlocking of your device. For that Go to Setting -> About Phone -> Tap on Build Number 7 times -> Go back to Settings -> Developer Options -> Enable OEM Unlocking. You could also refer to our guide on how to enable OEM Unlocking.
- Make sure to install the latest OnePlus USB Drivers
- Also, install the ADB and Fastboot Tools for entering ADB/fastboot commands.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro
- Go to the folder where you have installed ADB and Fastboot (e.g. C:\adb).
- While pressing Shift key, right click in an empty space inside the ADB and Fastboot folder.
- Select Open Powershell window here.
- Boot your OnePlus 7 (Pro) into Bootloader Mode (If you don’t know how to do it, then follow the instructions in this guide).
- Connect your OnePlus 7/ OnePlus 7 Pro to PC via USB cable.
- Type the below code:
- If you get a Device ID, then your connection is successful. Otherwise, make sure you have the latest OnePlus USB Drivers installed on your PC.
- Now, enter the following command to initiate the bootloader unlocking process:
fastboot oem unlock
- As soon as this command gets executed, you will get a Warning Message on your screen.
- Use the Volume Keys to highlight the option ‘Unlock the Bootloader’
- Finally, press the Power button to unlock the bootloader on OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro.
- Your phone will now boot into the OS with an Unlocked Bootloader.
Congratulations, you have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro. You could now go ahead and try different mods, ROMs, etc.
One important thing to keep in mind is whenever you reboot your device, you would see a message, ‘The bootloader is unlocked and software integrity cannot be guaranteed’. Don’t worry about it, your phone is completely fine and running. Also whenever your device reboots, you will get this warning message. You cannot remove this message until your device is in the unlocked state. The only workaround for this would be to re-lock the bootloader of your OnePlus device.
Now that you have successfully unlocked the phone’s bootloader, you can root your OnePlus device.
- Install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro
- How to Root OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro without TWRP Recovery
So this was our guide on how to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro. If you have any queries regarding this guide, feel free to ask in the comments section below.