Remap Active Edge squeeze function to perform a different action than just launching Google Assistant. In this guide, we will show you how to change Active Edge Squeeze action on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL.
In 2017, the Google Pixel 2 series was launched with some remarkable features for a more improved and fresh Android experience. The new devices proved to be much improved than their predecessors. Apart from the visible changes in terms of the design and new color options, the Pixel 2 and 2 XL bought a handful of exclusive features. The major highlights include Always On Display, Now Playing, Google Lens, Pixel Visual Core, and Active Edge. Today, we will be focusing our attention on one specific feature – Active Edge. If you want to change Active Edge squeeze action on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, then the steps below will help you.
Change Active Edge Squeeze Action on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL
Squeezing your device to launch an app or perform an action seems like a cool trick, right? Well, Google only allows you to perform two specific actions when you do this. The Active Edge function on the Pixel 2 can only be set to launch the Google Assistant or silence alerts. That’s pretty limited.
Adapting to the squeeze action to launch the assistant could take some time. We have gotten quite used to long-pressing the home button to do this. So why not implement a different function for this action? Like launching your most-used app or to toggle WiFi. You’d be glad to know that you can now change Active Edge Squeeze action on Google Pixel 2 (XL) and the steps below will help you with that.
After digging through the Play Store and XDA forums, we have found two methods that can help you remap Active Edge Action easily.
Remap Active Edge using Button Mapper
The application is developed by the infamous kernel developer – flar2. The developer has designed the app to use the ‘Accessibility services’ to change active Edge Squeeze action on Google Pixel 2 and XL.
Apart from the app itself, you will also need a PC with ADB access. You can follow our tutorial how to setup Android SDK.
- First off, download Button Mapper application by clicking the button above.
- Once installed, go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Accessibility’ and turn on the accessibility service for ‘Button Mapper’.
- Now launch the application from the app drawer.
- Select the ‘Active Edge’ option and turn on the ‘Customize’ toggle.
- A dialog box shall open up on the screen.
- Now connect your Pixel 2 to the PC and execute the following commands in the command-line window:
adb shell sh/data/data/flar2.homebutton/keyevent.sh
- Once you enter the command, a short script will run and grant the required permissions to the Button Mapper application.
- Disconnect the device and restart the app.
- Now to finally change Active Edge Squeeze action on Google Pixel 2 (XL), go to ‘Active Edge’ and turn on ‘Customize’.
- Tap on ‘Single tap’ option and select your desired application, action, or shortcut.
Now you have successfully been able to change Active Edge Squeeze action. So when you squeeze your phone, your chosen application/action shall launch instead of the Google Assistant.
Remap Active Edge using Edge Sense Plus (Magisk)
Another way to get this done is by using the ‘Edge Sense Plus’ application in combination with a dedicated Magisk module. The app was initially developed for HTC devices. Support for the Pixel 2 devices was added recently. This app offers a few advantages over the former option like per-app squeeze actions, long-squeeze actions, and more. So head down below to change Active Edge Squeeze action on the Pixel 2 phones.
- Download the Edge Sense Plus application by clicking the button above.
- Next, download the required Magisk module on your device: pixel2_xl_active_edge_mod.zip
- Go to Magisk Manager -> Modules -> ‘+’ and select the downloaded file.
- The module will be flashed onto your Pixel device.
- Once installed, tap on the ‘REBOOT’ button to activate the module.
- Go to the app drawer and launch the ‘Edge Sense Plus’ app.
- On the app’s main screen, you should see ‘Single squeeze’ and ‘Long squeeze’ gestures under the ‘Main’ tab.
- Simply tap on the gesture you want to customize.
- Finally, to change Active Edge Squeeze action, select your desired option from the predefined list.
The app offers more than 40 different actions, which makes the feature much more functional than it currently is. You can further buy the premium version of Edge Sense Plus to unlock more gestures and features.
Hopefully, Google will add more functionality to the squeeze function in the future. In my opinion, the feature is really a grab if you get a hold of it. So that was our take on how to change Active Edge Squeeze action on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. If you have any questions or any other ways to apart from the ones listed here, then let us know through the comments.