Another good news for Xiaomi smartphone users! You can now download Google Camera 6.1 Port (Pixel 3 Camera app) for Xiaomi Poco F1, Mi 8, and Mi Mix 2S. The available GCam Port brings Pixel 3 camera features like Night Sight, Portrait Mode, Playground and Super Res Zoom to your phone. The biggest advantage is that you can install Google Camera port on Poco F1, Mi 8, and Mi Mix 2S without unlocking the bootloader or rooting.
Google Camera Port, also known as the “Google Camera Mod” is one of the most anticipated third-party camera ports for non-Google devices. It brings the infamous HDR+ and Portrait Mode features to almost any Android device running on Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. In order to install and use the Google Camera Port on an Android phone, it must support Camera2 API. Thankfully, newer Xiaomi devices that come with Snapdragon 710 and Snapdragon 845 chips come with Camera2 API enabled.
Some of the top devices by Xiaomi released this year — Poco F1, Mi 8, and Mi Mix 2S utilize the Snapdragon 845 processor. Which means you can easily install Google Camera 6.1 Port on these Xiaomi devices without the need of unlocking the bootloader or rooting.
About this Google Camera Port
The creator/developer behind this Google Camera Port is a Ukranian 4PDA forum member B-S-G. The said developer received a Xiaomi Mi 8 pretty recently and was quick enough to port the Google Camera for it. Since the Poco F1 and the Mi Mix 2S share the same on-device chip, this port works on them as well.
Now before you download Google Camera 6.1 port for Xiaomi Poco F1, Mi 8, and Mi Mix 2S, let us sweep through the list of features that are working and what’s not.
Following are the features that work without any problem:
- Night Sight
- Super Res Zoom
- ZSL HDR+
- HDR+ Enhanced
- Portrait Mode on the front & back camera
- Video recording up to 4K 30FPS
- Photosphere, Panorama
- Slow motion 240 FPS (1080p)
And, below are the features that do not work, at least for now:
- Electronic-Image Stabilization (EIS) on Custom ROMs
Download Google Camera 6.1 Port for Poco F1/Mi 8/Mi Mix 2S
There are two different versions of the Google Camera Port available – (1) Google Camera V6.1.021 for devices with Android Pie (MIUI 10.1.3) and (2) Google Camera V6.1.009 for devices with Android Oreo. Since the latter was backported to work on Oreo, it contains more bugs than the former.
The APK files have been sourced from this XDA thread and were originally provided by B-S-G over at the 4PDA forums.
- MGC_6.1.021_F1_V1.4 (V6.1.021 for MIUI 10.2.2 ‘Android Pie’ or above) | Size: 119.1 MB
- MGC_6.1.009_V1a (V6.1.009 for Android Oreo) | Size: 76.6 MB
How to Install Google Camera Port on Xiaomi Poco F1, Mi 8, and Mi Mix 2S
Since all the three Xiaomi devices come with Camera2 API enabled, there’s no need to unlock the bootloader or root. In order to manually install an APK, you must first enable ‘Install unknown apps’ option. To enable it, go to Settings -> Additional Settings -> Privacy -> Install unknown apps. Once enabled, you’ll easily be able to install Google Camera Port on Xiaomi Poco F1, Mi 8, and Mi Mix 2S. Simply follow the steps listed below.
- Download Google Camera Port APK file.
- If you have downloaded it to the PC, transfer the APK to the phone’s storage.
- Open the ‘File Explorer’ app on your Xiaomi phone.
- Navigate to the location where the APK file was downloaded/transferred.
- Tap on the ‘MGC_6.1.009_MI8_POCO_V1a.apk‘ OR ‘MGC_6.1.021_F1_V1.4_san1ty.apk‘ file depending upon the version you downloaded.
- Next, follow the on-screen instructions to install Google Camera Port on Xiaomi Poco F1, Mi 8, and Mi Mix 2S.
- Once installed, tap on ‘Done’.
Now, go back to the home screen and launch the Google Camera port on your phone. Go ahead and take some cool portrait shots or capture a vivid landscape short via HDR+. For recommended settings, visit this XDA thread.
Wait! Please make sure to go through the list of notes before you leave.
- Facing lag in Viewfinder on version 6.1.021? Users with:
- If auto-focus does not restore after touch-focus, then exit the viewfinder and re-open it. You may simply open the Google Camera settings or gallery.
So, there you go! You have just been able to download Google Camera 6.1 Port for Xiaomi Poco F1, Mi 8, and Mi Mix 2S and install it without an unlocked bootloader or root. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below or visit the XDA thread linked above.