Essential is now rolling out the third beta release to its PH-1 units worldwide. In this guide, we will show you how to manually install Essential Phone Oreo Beta 3 update.
Andy Rubin-led Essential is now advancing towards the final Oreo rollout. But of course, like any other OEM, the manufacturer wants to make sure that the final release is highly functional and stable for daily usage. To achieve the stabilized environment for its users, it has been publically testing Android Oreo via the Beta Builds. These builds can be installed by an average consumer, to get a little taste of the next major software upgrade and also to assist Essential by providing their valuable feedback. If you are up for the experience, then roll down below and install Essential Phone Android Oreo Beta 3 update.
- How to Root Essential Phone (PH-1) using Magisk
- Install Xposed Framework on Android Oreo 8.0 and 8.1
- Install ViPER4Android on Android Oreo 8.0
- How to Use Autofill on Android Oreo 8.0
- Install Custom Themes on Android Oreo without Root
Table of Contents
Guide to Install Essential Phone Oreo Beta 3 Update
The new and updated Oreo Beta 3 is all about more refinements over the previous Beta, along with a short list of new additions to the software. The manufacturer mentioned that they are pretty close to the final rollout. We believe they are putting in all the efforts to make the final release possibly bug-free.
Now before you even get to the instructions to install Essential Phone Oreo Beta 3 update, take a quick read of the changelog. According to the official OTA notification, below is the complete list of changes that you should expect from this update.
- January 1 (2017) security patch level – Fixes Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
- Miscellaneous security and bug fixes
Users have also added that Verizon Visual Voicemail is now working correctly.
Those who have the previous Beta firmware can easily install Android Oreo Beta 3 on Essential Phone by updating over-the-air. The rollout has already begun and the OTA shall be reaching every user pretty soon. For those who want to update right now, can follow the easy steps below.
Make sure to fulfill the requirements below before you install Essential Phone Oreo Beta 3 OTA update.
- Your device must have the stock recovery installed.
- Take a complete backup of your Essential PH-1 device. We suggest that you follow our detailed guide on how to backup Android phones.
- Charge your phone to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the update process.
- You must also install Android SDK tools on your PC.
Steps to Install Essential Phone Oreo Beta 3 Update
The method is pretty straight. All you have to do is to sideload the official OTA zip to install Essential Phone Oreo Beta 3 update.
- Download Essential PH-1 Oreo Beta 3: PH1-OTA-OPM1.170911.254.zip (1GB)
- Copy the downloaded OTA zip to C:\adb on your PC. This should be the folder where all the ADB and Fastboot binaries are present.
- In the same folder, hold the SHIFT key and right-click to open the menu.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here‘ from the menu.
- Boot your Essential Phone into stock recovery:
- Power down completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button altogether until you see an Android bot on the screen.
- To finally enter the recovery screen, hold down the Power button and tap the Volume Up key once.
- Connect your device to the PC.
- Use the Volume keys to highlight ‘Apply update from ADB‘ and select it by pressing the Power button.
- Once everything is set up, you’re ready to sideload the update.
- So, enter the command in PowerShell to install Essential Phone Oreo Beta 3 update:
adb sideload PH1-OTA-OPM1.170911.254.zip
- The update process shall begin and might take about a minute to complete.
- Once it is finished, select “Reboot system now” option in the stock recovery.
After your device boots, it shall be running the updated software. We believe that the final rollout is imminent. It’s quite good to see that Essential held up to their words and quickly went on testing Android Oreo for its device. Such actions often prove to be good for the OEM and build them a reputation, both in the market and among the users.
So you have just been able to install Essential Phone Oreo Beta 3 update using a simple method. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, kindly reach out to us using the comments.