Xiaomi provides the Fastboot version of its firmware for all its supported devices. Follow this guide on how to install MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash tool on Xiaomi Devices.
Software updates act as a major contributing factor towards an OEM’s success in this competitive market. Xiaomi is an Android device maker that releases constant updates for its devices. These updates are available in two different versions – Beta and Stable. The OEM publishes two different type of ROMs – Recovery, and Fastboot. And as the name suggests, the former is flash-able through the stock recovery. But we are here today for the latter, to help you install MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash tool.
- How To Fix Third Party Theme Error on Redmi Devices
- Install Google Product Sans Font on Any Android
- How to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Devices
- Root Xiaomi Mi A1 (Magisk) and Install TWRP Recovery
Guide to Install MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash Tool
The fastest method to update your Xiaomi phone is by using the Updater app. But OTA updates generally take some time before they are available for each and every device. In that case, a user may choose to update their phone using the Fastboot image provided by Xiaomi. Just like Google Pixel/Nexus phones, the Fastboot ROM (*.tgz) are image files of the complete firmware, which could be used for more than one purpose.
Xiaomi provides its own tool, known as ‘MiFlash‘ to do this job. It seems to be more user-friendly than the generic command-line method.
Benefits of Manually Installing MIUI Fastboot ROM
Before you head down to the instructions to install MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash tool, let us take a look at a few benefits of using this method.
- Restore stock firmware on Xiaomi devices: If you ever need to restore the factory software on your device, then the fastest way to do so is to flash MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash.
- Resolve software issues: Users often land into unusual issues and bugs after updating over-the-air or using the Recovery ROM. Apart from wiping cache, installing the full firmware again allows you to resolve any major software problems.
- Manually update to the latest MIUI firmware: Flashing the Fastboot ROM also allows you to quickly update to the latest available software without having to wait for the OTA notification.
These were just a few major reasons to why you might want to use this method.
Make sure to fulfill the requirements stated below before you head on to the steps to install MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash.
- Your device must have an unlocked bootloader. If you still haven’t done it yet, then follow our tutorial on how to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi phones.
- We strongly suggest you take a full backup of your personal data. Our guide on how to backup Android devices might just prove useful to you in this case.
- Charge your phone to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any disruptions during the flashing process.
Instructions to Install MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash Tool on Xiaomi Devices
- Download the latest Fastboot ROM for your device: Link
- The file will be in .tgz format.
- Extract the content of the downloaded file to a suitable location pn your PC. For demonstrating, I have extracted the Fastboot ROM for my Mi A1 to C:\MIUI.
- In order to install MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash, you must boot your Xiaomi device into Fastboot mode. To do so:
- Power off completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously.
- Connect your phone to the PC.
- Next, download the MiFlash tool and extract the downloaded zip file on your PC: MiFlash2017-7-20-0.zip
- Open the extracted folder (MiFlash2017-7-20-0) and double-click on ‘XiaoMiFlash.exe’ to run the tool.
- Click on the ‘refresh‘ button and make sure that the tool detects your Xiaomi device correctly.
- Once it does, click on ‘select‘ button and select the extracted folder where the Fastboot ROM is present (E.g. C:\MIUI\tissot_images_7.12.29_8.0).
- Next, choose one of the options at the bottom of the MiFlash tool window.
- Clean all: All apps and data on the internal storage will be cleared. Bootloader stays intact.
- Save user data: Apps and data will not be wiped. Bootloader stays intact.
- Clean all and lock: All apps and data will be cleared and the bootloader will be locked.
- Finally, click on the ‘flash‘ button to install MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash tool on your Xiaomi device.
- The process shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. Once complete, the tool window shall show the “success” message and the device will reboot automatically.
- You may disconnect the phone from the PC.
This method could be really helpful when reinstalling the stock firmware on your device. We often follow the same steps at times of new MIUI updates. So every time you want to force update your device to the latest available software, you can follow the steps in this brief tutorial.
So that is how you can install MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash tool. If you have any questions, leave a comment below.