HMD Global recently rolled out Android 8.1 Oreo update for the Nokia 6 launched in 2017. Follow this guide to manually install Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo update. The instructions will help you to sideload Oreo OTA ZIP using the stock recovery.
Every passing week, more and more OEMs are pushing in the latest Oreo update starting from their top line of devices. And Nokia doesn’t seem to stay behind after all. The manufacturer seems to be gaining its grip back with its Android lineup, packing powerful hardware and close-AOSP software. Nokia has kept its end of the promise and has released regular monthly updates for the Nokia 6. The first Oreo beta release for the device was made in December, last year. It didn’t take much longer until the stable rollout was announced in January 2018. Last week, the company pushed the Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo update. The official OTA ZIP is now available and can be easily sideloaded using the stock recovery.
Guide to Install Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo Update
To recap, the Nokia 6 was first released back in 2017, powered with Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 chipset, 5.5 inches full HD display, 16 MP rear camera with ZEISS, and more. Something commendable about the new Nokia-branded Android phones is their stock Android experience with support for consistent software updates. The phone has received a decent amount of attention in some major regions worldwide.
Before we get to the steps to install Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo update, let us take a quick look at the changes.
The announcement came in, directly from HMD Global’s Cheif Product Manager – Juho Sarvikas through his Twitter account. It wasn’t much later that rollout began reaching the users of the said device over-the-air. The OTA weighed approximately 933.8 MB, bringing in a plethora of changes and new features to the devices. Android 8.1 Oreo for Nokia 6 offers some unique features. These include the regular features like automatic Google Dark theme, revamped settings, Bluetooth battery percentage, power saving navigation buttons and redesigned power menu for easier navigation. The update also includes the March 2018 security patches.
The update has started to roll out worldwide and will be reaching out to everybody gradually. To check if your phone has received the OTA notification, go to Settings -> System updates. In case you haven’t got it yet, you can follow the instructions below and manually install Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo update right now.
- Backup your Nokia device completely. While this method shall not wipe anything off your device, but it is better to be precautious. Check our detailed article on how to backup Android.
- Charge the phone to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
- Your Nokia 6 must be running the latest Android 8.0 Oreo firmware with 00WW_5_22A_SP01 build number.
- The method below is only meant for the following models – TA-1021, TA-1025, TA-1033, and TA-1039.
- In order to sideload the OTA ZIP using ADB, you must first install Android SDK tools on your PC.
Once you have fulfilled the requirements, you will be ready to install Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo update.
Download Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo OTA
Simply click on the model number above to download the file for your device. When done, proceed with the instructions below.
Steps to Install Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo Update
- Download Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo OTA ZIP to your PC.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded file to the root of the SD card.
- Disconnect the phone and power it down.
- While the phone is powered off, connect the charging cable.
- Next, hold the Volume Up and Power buttons until you see the stock recovery screen.
- In stock recovery mode, you will need to use the Volume keys to move the selector and Power button to confirm.
- Select ‘Apply update from SD card‘ option.
- Choose the OTA ZIP file from the SD card.
- Finally, select ‘Ok‘ to confirm and install Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo update.
- Wait until the update process is complete.
- When done, select ‘Reboot system now‘.
You can also follow our guide on how to sideload OTA update ZIP using ADB.
Once your Nokia 6 boots, it shall be running the latest software running on Android 8.1 Oreo. Go ahead and explore all the new features. The update not only brings a version bump but also adds internal changes for better performance and battery life. It’s nice to see that new software also brings recent March 2018 security patches.
So this was our guide to download and install Nokia 6 Android 8.1 Oreo Update. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, then leave a comment below.