After the Nokia 8, HMD Global has now started rolling out stable Android 9 Pie for Nokia 8 Sirocco. If you haven’t got the OTA yet, then you follow this guide to manually install Nokia 8 Sirocco Android Pie Update. This could be easily done by using a simple dialer code.
HMD has had a good history delivering monthly software updates on time. Not just that, a decent number of Nokia Android phones have already received the Android Pie update. Starting off with the Nokia 7 Plus, devices like the Nokia 6.1/6.1 Plus, Nokia 8, and Nokia 5.1 Plus have already got the Pie update till now.
Initially, HMD Global scheduled to push Android Pie for Nokia 8 Sirocco and Nokia 8 back in November 2018. However, due to some unresolved issues during the testing phase, the update got delayed. But it didn’t take long, and the Nokia 8 got Pie in late December, making the Sirocco next in line to get a slice of Pie.
And just a few days ago, Android Pie update for Nokia 8 Sirocco was officially announced. Since the update is rolling over the air in phases, it could take some time before it reaches your Sirocco unit. In that case, you can manually install Nokia 8 Sirocco Android Pie Update by flashing the OTA package.
Table of Contents
Android Pie for Nokia 8 Sirocco (V4.120) – Changes and New Features
The new Android Pie-based software comes as v4.120 and the OTA weighs 1379.5 MB, which is considerably huge since it is a major Android OS upgrade. Like any other phone, Android Pie on Nokia 8 brings features including App Actions & Slices, Adaptive Battery and Brightness, new intuitive Gesture Navigation, and the rest of the UI revamps.
According to the Press Release (via Android Police), following are the new features offered by Nokia 8 Sirocco Android Pie Update:
- App Actions – Helps you get things done faster by predicting your next move and displaying the right action on your phone
- Slices – Identifies relevant information of your favorite apps to make them more easily accessible when you need them
- Adaptive Battery – Uses deep learning to understand usage patterns and prioritize battery power on important apps
- Adaptive Brightness – Automatically adapts phone brightness by learning from your interactions
- New system navigation – Features a single home button that provides intelligent predictions and suggestions (user enabled)
- Dashboard – Highlights screen time and phone usage including how many times the device has been unlocked and the number of notifications received
- App Timers – Set time limits on app usage
- Wind Down and Do Not Disturb – Set a daily schedule to get your phone ready for bed. Your screen fades to Grayscale, while Do Not Disturb silences notifications for a restful sleep. You can activate Do Not Disturb anytime you want to disconnect.
As we already told you, the OTA is rolling out in phases, which means there could be some time before you get the update. To force-check for the OTA notification, go to ‘Settings‘ > ‘System‘ > ‘System updates‘ on your phone. If you haven’t got it yet, then you can follow the instructions below to install Nokia 8 Sirocco Android Pie OTA manually.
- As always, we strongly recommend that you take a full backup of all your data stored on the device. Although the process will not wipe anything, it is best to safeguard your data. We also have a detailed tutorial on how to back up your data on Android.
- The process will work on any Nokia 8 Sirocco despite the model number or the bootloader unlock state. Although, make sure that the phone is not rooted or has Magisk installed.
- Charge your phone to a sufficient battery level so it doesn’t switch off during the update process.
- Since this is a full OTA package, it doesn’t matter on which Android Oreo firmware your phone is on. So stay out of worries.
Download Nokia 8 Sirocco Android Pie OTA
A1N-4120-0-00WW-B03-310N-0-00W-B01-update.zip | Size: 1.35 GB
The download link provided below is the courtesy from XDA Senior Member Audioboxer from the original XDA thread. Please make sure that you visit the thread and thank him. The credits for capturing the OTA URL and uploading the OTA package goes to him. Also, huge thanks to XDA member EGGMEN for testing the OTA and confirming that it works without any issues.
How to Install Nokia 8 Sirocco Android Pie Update?
- First, download Android Pie OTA package for your Nokia 8 Sirocco
- Next, connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable
- Transfer the OTA package to the root (Outside all folders) of the phone’s storage
- Open the dialer app on your Nokia 8 Sirocco
- Enter the following code in the dialer to install Nokia 8 Sirocco Android Pie OTA Update:
- Agree to any prompts shown on the screen
- The installation process will begin immediately
- After the update is finished, your phone will reboot and the OTA package will be deleted from the internal storage automatically.
Once your Nokia 8 Sirocco reboots, it shall be on the Android Pie with December 2018 security patches. Go ahead and enjoy all the latest features on your phone now.
HMD Global has really proved itself when it comes to software updates. Many of their devices are already running Android Pie including the Nokia 8 and Nokia 8 Sirocco now. It didn’t take long for the OEM to finish testing the new OS when compared to other Android device manufacturers.
So there you go! You have just been able to install Nokia 8 Sirocco Android Pie Update. If you have any questions about this procedure, please feel free to drop a comment below.