Here’s how to manually install Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Android Pie update. The method follows the use of a mere dialer code to install the Android Pie OTA package.
Nokia is ahead of several leading Android manufacturers when it comes to software updates. The company has emerged as an example of how OEMs should handle OS updates for their devices. The company’s Nokia 7 Plus was one of the few devices to get Android Pie Dev Preview. Following the Pie update for Nokia 7 Plus, the company has recently started rolling out Android Pie for the Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus.
Both the phones were released this year, placed in the mid-range price segment. While both of them came with Android 8.1 Oreo out-of-the-box, the Nokia 6.1 Plus had an upper hand being a part of the Android One program. Unlike the Nokia 6.1 Plus, the Nokia 6.1 never received any Beta update and directly made the jump to stable Android Pie software a few days ago. Right after that, the Nokia 6.1 Plus too got the Android Pie update.
The update has already started rolling out to the users in various regions. However, in case you still haven’t received it, you can follow the steps in this guide to manually install Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Android Pie Update.
Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Android Pie Update – Changes & New Features
Android 9 Pie is a major version bump from 8.1 Oreo and brings a plethora of new features and changes to the OS. For starters, the revamped Settings, notifications, and QS panel are the visual changes that you shall discover pretty quickly. The new intuitive gesture-based navigation is now available, that lets you quickly and easily switch between apps and navigate the UI.
Then there’s Adaptive Battery that uses the Machine Learning technology to adapt your usage and allocate battery resources to the apps you use the most. Adaptive Brightness uses the same technology, learns how you change your phone’s brightness in different situations and then adjusts it for you automatically.
You can also check out Nokia’s official Android Pie page for more information on the latest features.
Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Android Pie update also comes with October 2018 security patches. The new Nokia Camera app version 91.9.1140.20 is also included that brings features like ‘You Decide‘ and ‘Infinitely Adjust‘ to the Dual-Sight mode.
Also, according to a Reddit user (u/stereomatch), who has already installed the Android Pie update on his Nokia 6.1, confirms that the call recording feature has been removed. That’s probably because Android Pie itself does an aggressive removal of the remote voice (Source). It’s for the same reason that one of the most popular voice recorders for Android – ACR, will only work if your phone is rooted on Android Pie.
That’s pretty much all for the changes and new features. Before you follow the instructions below to install Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Android Pie update manually, make sure to check for the OTA notification. To do so, go to your phone’s Settings -> System -> System updates and force-check the OTA notification.
- Performing a manual update could lead to data loss if it goes wrong. So, we strongly suggest that you take a full backup of all your personal data on the phone. You may also read our tutorial on how to completely backup Android phones.
- Make sure to charge your Nokia phone’s battery to a sufficient battery level. This shall avoid the phone from suddenly shutting down during the update process.
Download Android Pie OTA for Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus
Thanks to XDA Senior Members Danny1976 and hikari_calyx for sharing the Android Pie OTA package links for Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus, respectively. Since the provided OTA packages are not designed to be sideloaded via recovery, you will need to use a different approach (Steps below) to install it.
Nokia 6.1 Android Pie OTA (V3.260): 1879f071d6ca7ca72fb1a750f045c3cdf00ff4dc.zip
Nokia 6.1 Plus Android Pie OTA (V3.30B): 5b5ef80dac7bcd5c16c169f8c1a3f401b4fa7d28.zip
How to Manually Install Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Android Pie Update?
- Download Android Pie OTA package for your Nokia 6.1/Nokia 6.1 Plus.
- For Nokia 6.1, rename the downloaded package to “PL2-3260-0-00WW-B01-update.zip“.
- For Nokia 6.1 Plus, rename the downloaded package to “DRG-330B-0-00WW-B01-update.zip“.
- Next, connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the OTA package to the root (Outside all folders) of the phone’s storage.
- Open the dialer app on your phone and enter the following:
- Ensure that your phone has the latest Android 8.1 Oreo firmware installed.
- Once confirmed, enter the following code in the dialer to install Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Android Pie update:
- The installation process will begin immediately.
- After the update is finished, your phone will reboot and the OTA package will be deleted from the internal storage automatically.
When your phone boots back into the OS, it shall be upgraded and running Android Pie. So go ahead and explore all the new features on your Nokia handset.
Nokia did quite a job pushing Android Pie to its devices. With this pace, more and more phones from the company will soon be able to run the latest version of Android, Nokia 8 probably going to be the next.
So, this was our tutorial on how to manually install Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Android Pie OTA update. If you have any questions, please feel free to drop a comment below.