The stable release of Android Oreo is now rolling out to OnePlus 5 users worldwide. If you want to update your device right now, then follow this guide to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 5.0 update.
After the OnePlus 3/3T, OxygenOS 5.0 update is now available for the OnePlus 5. For a long time since the first Open Beta based on Oreo was released for the OnePlus 3 and 3T, the OP5 users have been expecting the update. It was then in November, that the OEM announced the first every Open Beta release for the OnePlus 5. Surprisingly, after just over a month, the manufacturer is now seeding the OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 5.0 update to all the users. If you haven’t received the update yet, then we can help you get it on your device right away.
- Install OmniROM on OnePlus 5T (Android Oreo 8.0/8.1)
- Install OxygenOS Open Beta 2 on OnePlus 5 (Android 8.0 Oreo)
- Download OnePlus 5T Star Wars Edition Wallpapers (The Last Jedi)
- Fix OxygenOS 5.0 Problems on OnePlus 3 and 3T
- Enable AR Stickers on Nexus 6P, OnePlus 3/3T, Xiaomi Mi 5
Table of Contents
Guide to Install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 5.0 Update
Several OEMs are now onto releasing Android Oreo for there flagship devices. These include Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and more. OnePlus doesn’t seem to be slowing down either. The company has already been testing Oreo on all of its devices including the OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T, and OnePlus 5. While the former has already received the stable update, it was still some time before the latter could enjoy the same.
After two Open Beta releases and fixing a series of bugs, the manufacturer is finally seeding the stable OxygenOS 5.0 OTA to the device owners worldwide. The announcement was made at the OnePlus community by staff member Jimmy Z.
Before you head on to the instructions and install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 5.0 update, let’s take a quick look at the major highlights of this release.
- Updated to Android Oreo (8.0)
- December security patch level
- Optimized Launcher Shelf
- New UI Design and beauty mode in Camera app
- New Parallel Apps feature
- Revamped Quick Settings design
- New design for Ambient Display
- Added “Adaptive mode” screen calibration
- Wi-Fi and battery optimizations
To check if you have already received the update over-the-air or not, go to ‘Settings’ » ‘System updates’. Since the rollout is incremental, it might take some time for the update to reach each and every device.
But if you’re not willing to wait for it, you can follow the instructions below to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 5.0 update right away.
- The update is only meant for the OnePlus 5.
- Take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android devices. If you’re using TWRP, consider taking a Nandroid backup as well.
- Charge your OnePlus 5 to 50-60% battery level.
Download OxygenOS 5.0 for OnePlus 5
- Mirror | Mirror 2 | Mirror 3
Instructions to Install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 5.0 Update
You can either follow Method 1 if you have stock recovery installed on your phone. If you have rooted your device, or have a custom ROM, follow Method 2.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade in Settings
The easiest way to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 5.0 update is by using the Local Upgrade option.
- First, download the full ROM package from the links above.
- Connect your OnePlus 5 to the PC and enable ‘Transfer files’ mode.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of the internal storage. By root, we mean outside all the folders.
- Disconnect your device once the file has been transferred.
- Go to ‘Settings’ » ‘System update’.
- Press the gear icon on the top-right of the screen.
- Then, select ‘Local upgrade’ option.
- You shall see the full ROM file on the screen. So tap on it.
- When prompted, select ‘UPGRADE NOW’ to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 5.0 update.
During the update process, your device will reboot. After the installation is complete, boot into stock recovery and wipe the cache.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download the full ROM zip on your device.
- If you have downloaded it to the PC, transfer the zip to the phone’s internal storage.
- Power off your OnePlus 5.
- Boot it into TWRP by pressing the Volume Down and Power button altogether. Release the buttons once the OnePlus logo appears on the screen.
- If your device is running rooted OxygenOS, then skip step 5.
- [Optional] Wipe the apps and data from the device:
- Go to ‘Wipe’ » ‘Advanced Wipe’.
- Select the checkboxes as shown in the image below.
- Swipe the ‘Swipe to Wipe’ button.
- In the TWRP main screen, tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the full ROM package (e.g. OnePlus5Oxygen_23_OTA_027_all_1712231851_8d16de8.zip).
- Finally, swipe the Confirm Flash button to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 5.0 update.
Once the ROM installation process is complete, hit the ‘Reboot System’ button. Your OnePlus 5 will boot into the stable Oreo firmware.
You have just been able to install OxygenOS 5.0 on OnePlus 5. If you have any queries regarding the update process, kindly comment below.
Source: OnePlus Community | Mirror credits: Shank GV