Rooting your Android simply brings down all the barriers set by an OEM. It helps you gain more control over your system and modify it as you will, keeping in mind the risks involved. You will be able to enhance your phone’s audio by using ViPER4Android, or apply mods through Xposed Framework, and pretty much anything that your OEM doesn’t offer. So today, we will demonstrate you on how you can install TWRP recovery and root Honor 6X.
This guide requires you to have your 6X with an unlocked bootloader, which will allow you to flash partitions. If you haven’t done it yet, click on the tutorial linked below.
Now here is what we are going to do. We will move by first flashing official TWRP recovery via fastboot. Next, we will make use of TWRP to flash Chainfire’s SuperSU root. The steps are extremely simple and do not require any sort of expertise. Don’t worry even if you are new to the whole scene, this tutorial will get you through.
Rooting will strip off your device’s warranty. It is not harmful until you choose to deviate yourself from the steps mentioned here. Read everything and don’t just skip to the steps. We shall not be held liable for any damage to your device. However, if you do get into any sorts of trouble, we will give our best to help you.
Before hopping onto the process, there are a few mandatory things that need to be done.
- Backup your Honor 6X completely. This includes apps, messages, contacts, storage, and everything else that holds importance to you.
- Install Huawei drivers on your PC: Link
- You won’t be able to install TWRP without having an unlocked bootloader. So, if you still haven’t done it, follow this tutorial.
- Charge your phone to a sufficient battery level so that it doesn’t go off in midst of the rooting process.
- You will be making use of fastboot and ADB commands below. So, make sure to have Android SDK installed on your PC. Or, you can simply download the platform tools separately.
- Also, enable USB debugging on your 6X. If you don’t know how to do it, follow the steps here.
» Install TWRP Recovery
- Download the TWRP flash-able image file: Link
- Connect your Honor 6X to the PC via USB cable.
- Go to the folder where the image (Example: twrp-3.1.0-0-berlin.img) has been downloaded. On an empty space inside the folder, press the SHIFT key and right-click. Select “Open command window here”.
- A CMD window will pop up. Enter the mentioned command to reboot your phone into bootloader mode (Make sure you have USB debugging enabled).
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device has entered bootloader mode, enter another command in the CMD window.
You shall get a device ID as an output. This will confirm that your device has been recognized by fastboot.
- Now flash TWRP using the following command.
fastboot flash recovery <recovery-name.img>
Replace “<recovery-name.img>” to name of the file you downloaded. Example:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.0-0-berlin.img
- Once it is done. Reboot your device using the following command:
- Your phone will now reboot into the OS. Yes! You are one step closer to the result.
» Root Honor 6X
- Now is the time to root your Honor 6X. Download the SuperSU flash-able zip: Link
- Connect your device to the PC and transfer the above downloaded SuperSU file to the storage.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- While your phone is powered down completely, press and hold the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously until the Huawei logo appears. You 6X will boot right into the TWRP recovery mode.
- On the TWRP main screen, tap on the “Install” tab. Browse the device’s storage and select the “SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip” file. Swipe the button on the bottom to start the flashing process.
- In a few seconds, the process will be complete and you can tap on “Reboot System” to boot back into your rooted Honor 6X.
Voila! You have been successful to root Honor 6X. Go on, enjoy some creative mods and tweaks out there. If you face any problems during the process, drop a comment below and let us know.