If you want to install custom ROMs, you must first unlock OnePlus 6 bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader will further allow you to modify your device’s OS according to your own needs.
The OnePlus 6 comes with a near-stock software experience through OxygenOS, incorporating several unique features. Although users might not find much need to install a custom ROM, a few like myself would still love to try stuff outside what the manufacturer has provided. Thanks to the constant development scene, users can even add features without flashing custom ROMs, using Magisk. Despite what you’d like to do, you will still need to unlock the bootloader on OnePlus 6.
Guide to Unlock OnePlus 6 Bootloader
Thanks to the simplicity of the OnePlus’ mechanism, unlocking the bootloader is a relatively easy job to do. Just like on the Nexus and Pixel devices by Google, bootloader unlocking on the OnePlus 6 could be done using a fastboot command. Before we actually head to the process to unlock OnePlus 6 bootloader, let us take a look at a few advantages of doing it. These are as follows:
- Install custom recovery like TWRP
- Gain root permissions using SuperSU or Magisk
- Flash custom ROMs such as Resurrection Remix or LineageOS 15.1
- Pass SafetyNet on custom ROMs using Magisk
- Hide root permissions from apps like Pokemon Go
While these are just a few to name, the benefits are far more than this. Unlocking the bootloader on OnePlus 6 does not void the warranty (Source).
- Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your device completely. So, make sure to perform a full backup before proceeding. You can also follow our Android backup guide for this purpose.
- Make sure that the phone is charged to a sufficient battery level.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on the PC. For demonstrating, we will refer to “C:\adb” in this guide. It is the location where the ADB/Fastboot binaries are present.
- Install OnePlus USB drivers on the PC.
- Enable USB debugging option – Go to Settings -> About phone and tap 7 times on the ‘Build number‘.
- Enable OEM unlocking on the OnePlus 6.
How to Unlock OnePlus 6 Bootloader?
- Go to the location where the ADB and Fastboot tools are installed on the PC (e.g. C:\adb).
- Press and hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard.
- While holding the SHIFT key, right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here‘ from the pop-up menu.
- The Windows PowerShell window shall launch on the PC’s screen.
- Next, power off the phone completely.
- Boot OnePlus 6 into Bootloader/Fastboot mode. If you don’t know how to do it, then follow this simple tutorial.
- Once the phone is in Bootloader Mode, connect it to the PC using the USB cable.
- Enter the following command to verify that the device is properly detected by Fastboot:
- The command should return a device ID, along with the ‘Fastboot‘ message on the PowerShell screen. If it does not, then make sure that you have installed the USB drivers correctly.
- Finally, to unlock the OnePlus 6 bootloader enter the following command:
fastboot oem unlock
- As soon as the command is executed, the phone’s screen will prompt you with a warning screen.
- Simply, use the Volume keys to highlight ‘UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER‘ and press the power button.
- The phone will be wiped completely and will reboot automatically into the OS.
After the phone boots, you will need to set up the device from scratch and restore the backup.
Now that you have been able to unlock OnePlus 6 bootloader, you can start flashing the custom recovery, ROMs, mods, etc. Wile your phone boots, it shall now show a “The bootloader is unlocked and software integrity cannot be guaranteed” message. Do not worry, it is completely alright. The phone will reboot into the OS regardless of that.