The Asus ROG Phone 2 is now getting the stable Android 10 update with ‘V17.0210.2001.60’ build number and January 2020 security patch. In this post, you can download the Asus ROG Phone 2 Android 10 OTA update and follow the instructions to manually install it right now. This could be easily done using the phone’s in-built update mechanism.
Google released Android back in September 2019 and a rising number of Android OEMs have started rolling out the update for their devices and Asus isn’t falling behind as well. The OEM released the Android 10 update for Asus 6Z (Also known as Zenfone 6) back in November 2019, followed by the Zenfone 5Z soon after. Both devices have continued to receive monthly security updates based on Android 10 as well.
And now, the company’s second-generation ROG Phone 2, part of Asus’ Republic of Gamers brand has started receiving the stable Android 10 update over-the-air. The announcement was initially made by Asus themselves on March 9, at their official ROG twitter handle. The OEM has already been beta testing Android 10 for ROG Phone 2 for a few months to ensure that end-users could smoothly transition from Android 9 Pie and get an overall stable experience.
Now before you go ahead to the download links and instructions, let us take a quick look at what new changes and features this update brings to the phone.
⇒ This may be of interest to you: Download Google Camera Port for ROG Phone 2
Android 10 for Asus ROG Phone 2 – New Features and Changes
Android 10 is definitely a major upgrade from Pie as it brings a series of new features and changes to the phone. The first one that I would like to point out is the system-wide Dark Mode feature, which when turned on, will turn the complete system UI to dark colors and accents. The dark theme on your ROG Phone 2 may give you a marginal battery boost because of the equipped AMOLED display. It should also cause less strain on your eyes while viewing the phone’s screen in low-light environments.
Another notable feature is the new full-screen gesture navigation system that completely gets rid of the navigation buttons and relies on swipes/pulls. In Android 10, Google has added another feature based on Machine Learning that suggests replies and actions for message notifications.
The new privacy and location controls in Android 10 will give you more granular controls over the permissions required by apps. These are just to name a few, for the complete list of new changes and features in Android 10, please visit the official website.
According to the release notes provided by Asus, the following is the complete changelog:
- Upgraded system to Android 10
- Google Play system update
- Removed Go2Pay and tags ability in Gallery
- Support more Aura system lighting scenarios when mounting Lighting Armor Case
- Added advanced settings to brightness bar on the Quick Settings panel
- Applied Call Exclusive mode system-wide. Removed the related setting from Armoury Crate
- Added a setting to change the style of power button menu
- Added fully gestural navigation in Display setting
- Support Android 10 Dark Theme
- Added “Suggested actions and replies” in notifications’ advanced setting
- No pinned notification when System lighting is turned on for Music
- Changed the add Wi-Fi network design
- The “Gestures on dark screen” will be turned off after system upgrade
The ROG Phone 2 runs the ROG UI, which basically offers the complete stock Android experience, along with some device-specific features. So, there are a few new additions and changes in that as well. As you can tell from the changelog above, Asus has added some new Aura system lighting scenes when the official Lighting Armor case is mounted. Other improvements include a new setting to change the power menu style, a system-wide call exclusive mode, and more.
Not to forget, the latest update also comes with January 2020 security patch. Although not the latest, you could expect Asus to rollout an incremental OTA soon that will bump up the security patch level to the latest.
You can also force-check for the OTA update by going to ‘Settings’ > ‘System’ > ‘System update’ on your phone. Since the rollout takes place in stages, it could take some time before this update reaches your phone. If you’re eager on upgrading right now, you can download the ROG Phone 2 Android 10 OTA update from below and manually install it using the provided instructions.
Before You Install
- Manually installing OTA updates can lead to data loss, if done wrong. Although no data will be erased if you follow this method to upgrade your ROG Phone 2, I still strongly recommend taking a full backup beforehand. This will ensure that all your data is safe even if something goes sideways.
- Charge your phone to a sufficient battery level. This shall help avoid any interruptions while performing the upgrade process.
Download Asus ROG Phone 2 Android 10 OTA Update
The stable Android 10 firmware update for ROG Phone 2 is available as an OTA package (in ZIP file format). Since it is a full OTA package (and not incremental), it can be installed on any ROG Phone 2 irrespective of the Android Pie software version installed on it.
- Full OTA Package: UL-ASUS_I001_1-ASUS-17.0210.2001.60-1.1.97-user.zip
- Filesize: 2.25 GB
- MD5 Checksum: af3b06f554f7f88c92e69167c22900d8
- SHA1 Checksum: 1d5e69145d7de8bb011368ed9b0a3ea3135d3d6a
Make sure that you do not change the filename of the OTA package or else the in-built updater will not recognize and detect the update file.
How to Manually Install Android 10 Update on ROG Phone 2?
Installing the update on your ROG Phone 2 is really easy. You would not require a PC or any special tools like ADB/Fastboot. It can easily be done using Asus’ in-built update mechanism (Asus Updater). Just follow the steps listed below.
- Download the Android 10 OTA package for your Asus ROG Phone 2.
- Connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable.
- Transfer the download OTA zip package to the root (i.e. outside all folders) of your phone’s internal storage.
- Next, disconnect your phone from the PC and reboot it.
- Once your ROG Phone reboots, it should detect the update package automatically.
- Press ‘OK’ when prompted to confirm and install the Android 10 update on your Asus ROG Phone 2.
- After the update has been installed, tap on ‘Restart’ to reboot your phone into the updated OS.
Voila! Your phone should now be running Android 10 with January 2020 security patches. You can now go ahead and explore all the new features that this new Android version has to offer.
Users who have already upgraded their ROG Phone 2 to Android 10 have some mixed opinions about it. Although there aren’t any major or a considerable amount of bugs, a few minor issues are already being discussed over at ZenTalk forums (See 1 & 2) and also at XDA.
If you do face any abnormal issues after manually installing the Android 10 update, you can try performing a factory data reset. According to one of the users in the thread linked above, doing a factory reset after the upgrade “was a massive improvement” for him.
However, if you do feel that Android Pie is overall more stable than Android 10 at the moment, then you can easily downgrade your ROG Phone 2 using the instructions in this guide.
Also, please consider reporting your discovered issues directly in the ZenTalk forums. This could help speed up the development process and you may also get to know of available fixes (if any) from the fellow users.
So this was our guide on how to download and manually install ROG Phone 2 Android 10 update. If you face any problems updating your phone using this method, or have any questions regarding the update itself, then please let me know via the comments.
OTA Source: Asus