Android 8.1 Oreo-based LineageOS 15.1 for OnePlus One is now available officially. Through this post, you can download and install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus One easily.
Over the past few years, OnePlus has really strived to be among the best Android manufacturers. The company’s success is backed by a lot of factors, including their phones’ build quality, powerful specs, affordable price, and on top of all, constant software updates. 2016-released OnePlus 3/3T are still receiving new features and fixes via updates on time. But that wasn’t the case always. OnePlus One, the company’s first commercial production, faced a lot of criticism due to lack of software support. But the Android development community picked up, where OnePlus left off. And thanks to them, we now have access to a series of different custom ROMs available for the OnePlus One. One of them is LineageOS 15.1, and it finally supports the OnePlus One officially.
Guide to Install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus One
The OnePlus One was discontinued and never received the deserved attention despite all the great hardware. The last official Android version supported by the phone was Marshmallow 6.0.1. However, that didn’t stop the game right there. Third-party developers and enthusiasts have compiled, ported, and provided all major Android versions after that too, including Android Nougat 7.0/7.1 and Android 8.0 Oreo. And now comes the time, when you can also install Android 8.1 Oreo on OnePlus One.
Oreo-based ROMs have been available for the OnePlus One since last year, but some of them are still not free from bugs and are also not updated regularly. On the other hand, LineageOS 15.1 for OnePlus One is updated every week, in the form of a “nightly” build. But that’s not the sole advantage, LineageOS is well known for its diverse approach to the AOSP, extending the experience by adding several additional features without disturbing its simplicity.
LineageOS 15.1 Features
Before we head over to the instructions to install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus One (codename: bacon), let us take a quick look at some of the major features that the ROM offers. The list is as follows:
- Custom charging sounds
- Customizable buttons and navigation bar
- Display color temperature customization
- Support for touchscreen gestures when the screen is OFF
- Extreme power saving mode
- Privacy Guard
- Ability to scramble PIN layout on the lock screen
- Additional Quick Setting toggles including Live Display, Ambient Display, ADB over network, NFC, Sync, etc.
- Status bar customization – clock position, double-tap to sleep, network indicator and more.
- Accent color selection
- Automatic Dark/Lite theme based on the wallpaper color
- Customizable power menu
- LineageOS mascot as Easter Egg
- LineageOS 15.1 wallpapers
The ones mentioned above are just to name a few. Check out this blog post on XDA for the complete list of features.
Just like any other custom ROM, you can easily install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus One using TWRP recovery. The developers have also provided their own SU installer ZIP, should you want to root the phone on LineageOS.
- This custom ROM is exclusive to the OnePlus One. Do not attempt to install it on any other device.
- Charge your phone to a sufficient battery level to avoid any interruptions during the ROM installation.
- A PC/Laptop and a micro-USB cable.
- Take a complete backup of your device in case any loss of data may occur.
- Download TWRP recovery image for OnePlus One (twrp-3.2.2-0-bacon.img). Put the phone in Fastboot mode and use the following command to flash TWRP on the device:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.2-0-bacon.img
Download LineageOS 15.1 for OnePlus One (Android 8.1 Oreo)
- ROM: lineage-15.1-20181001-nightly-bacon-signed.zip | Latest nightly
- GApps: MindTheGApps (Recommended) | OpenGApps (Alternative)
- SU (Root ZIP): addonsu-15.1-arm-signed.zip
Steps to Install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus One
- Download LineageOS 15.1 ROM, GApps, and SU ZIP files.
- Connect the OnePlus One to the PC and enable ‘Transfer Files’ mode.
- Transfer all the downloaded files to the phone’s storage.
- Once transferred, disconnect the phone from the PC.
- Power off the OnePlus One completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery.
- In TWRP, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’ and select the checkboxes as shown in the image below.
- Swipe the ‘Swipe to wipe’ button to wipe the current OS completely.
- Go back to the main screen and tap on ‘Install’.
- Navigate to the phone’s storage and select the LineageOS 15.1 ROM ZIP.
- Tap on ‘Add more ZIPs’ and select the GApps ZIP this time. Repeat the process for SU file too.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus One.
When the flashing process finished, tap on the ‘Reboot System‘ button. Your OnePlus One will then boot into LineageOS 15.1 based on Android 8.1 Oreo. Complete the setup by following the on-screen instructions. Once everything is set, you can start exploring the device settings for customization options.
To sum up, the ROM gives you more freedom to customize each and every part of the OS according to your needs. That is not something the manufacturer will ever provide and is the biggest advantage of using a custom ROM.
So, this was our tutorial on how to download LineageOS 15.1 for OnePlus One and install it using TWRP. If you have any questions, please be free to comment below.