OxygenOS 5.1.6 for OnePlus 6 is now available with Selfie Portrait Mode, Dual-4G option, status bar battery percentage, DND mode schedule and more. You can now download and manually install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.6 update using the steps in this tutorial.
OnePlus is certainly keeping with its commitment when it comes to consistent software updates. The first OS update that the OnePlus 6 received, was right after the launch. But the update removed the Always-On display feature due to battery concerns. However, we did find an unofficial method to enable Always-On Display on OnePlus 6 for those who really want to try it. This month, the company has announced another OxygenOS update that brings in quite a lot of new features and changes. If you have not yet received the OTA, then you can follow the steps below to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.6 update right now.
OxygenOS 5.1.6 for OnePlus 6 – Changes and New Features
OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.6 update was announced recently at the OnePlus community forums by Manu J. The new firmware is dedicated to bringing some major improvements in the software and fixing some bugs. The OTA update has already started rolling out to several regions and weighs about 223MB.
Before you even head towards the instructions and install OxygenOS 5.1.6 update on OnePlus 6, let us take a quick look at the complete changelog.
- Idea VoLTE services support in India
- Fixed stability issues for Dual Sim Cards
- Added Portrait Mode for the front camera
- Added preview for Light Bokeh effect in Portrait Mode of the rear camera
- Optimized call clarity
- Supported battery percentage in the status bar
- Improved ringtone volume and sound quality
- Now able to schedule Do Not Disturb(DND) mode
- Added Dual-4G network option in SIM & network settings
- Optimized power consumption and Improved system stability
- Added smart answer for Bluetooth – automatically answer incoming calls when connecting to Bluetooth devices
Users who have already installed the OxygenOS 5.1.6 update have confirmed that the ringtone sound via both, the speaker and earphones has been improved. Even though the update is released in June, it still is based on the May 2018 security patches. It would have been great if the manufacturer had included June Android security patches in this update.
While the OTA is already en-route, it might take some time to reach out to everybody due to its incremental nature. If you’re not patient enough, you can grab the OxygenOS 5.1.6 full ROM ZIP and upgrade your OnePlus 6 manually. Before you do that, make sure to go to Settings -> System updates and check for the OTA notification.
Make sure to fulfill all the stated requirements before you install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.6 update.
- Ensure that you take a full backup of all your data prior to manually flashing this update. You can also follow our guide to backup Android devices.
- Charge the OnePlus 6 to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
- Download and Install OnePlus USB drivers on the PC.
Download OxygenOS 5.1.6 for OnePlus 6
The link provided here is for the full ROM, which can be easily flashed using the Local Upgrade option in the settings or via TWRP recovery.
How to Install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.6 Update?
We have provided two different methods to perform this update manually. OnePlus 6 users who are running the stock/unrooted OxygenOS software (Stable/Beta) can use method 1 via Local Upgrade. Those with root/TWRP can opt for method 2 and install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.6 update right now.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade
- Download OxygenOS 5.1.6 full ROM ZIP.
- Connect the OnePlus 6 to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the download ROM ZIP file to the root of the phone’s internal storage.
- Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘System updates’.
- Tap on the gear icon on the top-right of the screen.
- Select the ‘Local Upgrade’ option.
- The phone will automatically detect the update package.
- Tap on the ROM ZIP file.
- Finally, tap on ‘Upgrade Now’ to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.6 update.
The phone will automatically reboot into the updated software once the update process finishes.
After upgrading, it is highly recommended to clear the cache to avoid any bugs. So, boot into stock recovery and go to ‘Wipe data and cache’ > ‘Wipe cache’ and press ‘OK’.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download the OxygenOS 5.1.6 full ROM ZIP.
- Connect the OnePlus 6 to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded full ROM ZIP to the phone’s storage.
- Power off the phone completely.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to boot into the TWRP recovery.
- [Optional] If your phone has a custom ROM installed, then you will also need to wipe the OS. To do so:
- Next, go back to the main screen and tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the full ROM ZIP file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.6 update.
The flashing process would be finished in some time. Once complete, press the ‘Reboot System’ button. The phone will reboot into the updated OxygenOS software. So, go ahead and try out all the new features such as the Selfie Portrait Mode and Do Not Disturb schedule. As you would have noted before, there are several more changes and improvements in the OS. So don’t forget to explore them.
Note that Method 2 will completely unroot the phone and will also remove the TWRP recovery. If you wish to maintain root and TWRP, simply flash the latest Magisk ZIP and TWRP recovery before booting into the OS.
So this was our guide on how to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.6 update. Should you have any questions regarding the update or the procedure, please reach out to us via the comments section below.
Source: OnePlus Community