OxygenOS 5.1.8 brings updated bootloader and general bug fixes to the OnePlus 6. You can follow the steps in this tutorial to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.8 update right now.
Ever since its launch, the OnePlus 6 has been receiving cumulative updates that are meant to refine the overall software experience. We saw one such OS update a few days ago – OxygenOS 5.1.7. While the said update brought a major security enhancement, it was not available for the Indian users. On the release thread, the team stated that Indian users would receive the same with the next stable release. And so, it came to be true today, with the OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.8 update. If you’ve still not received the OTA notification or would like to manually upgrade your phone, then follow the instructions below.
Table of Contents
OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.8 Update – Changelog
The official announcement was made over at the OnePlus community thread by Manu J. The OTA weighs about 102 MB and carries over a fix for a major bootloader vulnerability that was discovered a few days ago.
The context – information arrived from XDA Recognized Developer zx2c3 (Original name: Jason Donenfeld), who is a security researcher and the president of Edge Security. According to him, he was able to boot an arbitrary image on the bootloader-locked OnePlus 6. It wasn’t much later when OnePlus recognized the problem and addressed it through OxygenOS 5.1.7. However, the update did not apply to the phones in India until today, when OnePlus announced the OxygenOS 5.1.8 update.
To simplify and avoid any confusions, the OxygenOS 5.1.8 update carries over all the changes from OOS 5.1.7, plus adds a few minor system enhancements. Now, before you download OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.8 update and install it, take a quick look at the changelog, as mentioned on the original release thread.
OOS 5.1.7 Changelog:
- Fixed schedule setting issue for Do Not Disturb(DND) mode
- Updated bootloader for system security enhancement
- General bug fixes and improvements
OOS 5.1.8 Changelog:
- Optimized call quality in Phone
- Fixed system stability issues
- Improved network stability and general bug fixes
On the downside, it was expected that this update would carry the June 2018 Android security patches. However, it remains at the May 2018 patches, which were seen in the past few updates.
Download OxygenOS 5.1.8 for OnePlus 6
⇒ Mirror Link (AndroidFileHost)
How to Install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.8 Update?
As always, there are two different methods to install OxygenOS 5.1.8 on OnePlus 6. If your phone is completely stock, you can choose Method 1 by using the Local Upgrade option. However, if your phone is rooted or has TWRP recovery, you can opt for Method 2. Make sure to check for the OTA notification by going to Settings -> System updates.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade in Settings
- Download OxygenOS 5.1.8 full ROM ZIP.
- Connect the OnePlus 6 to the PC.
- Enable ‘Transfer files’ mode on the phone.
- Transfer the download file to the root of the phone’s internal storage.
- Go to device’s ‘Settings’ and tap on ‘System updates’.
- Tap on the gear icon and select the ‘Local Upgrade’ option.
- Tap on the OxygenOS full ROM ZIP file.
- Finally, tap on ‘Upgrade Now’ to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.8 update.
The phone shall automatically reboot and perform the flashing process. Once complete, it will boot into the updated OS. We strongly recommended clearing the cache after upgrading. To do so, boot into stock recovery. Then go to ‘Wipe data and cache’ > ‘Wipe cache’ and press ‘OK’.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download the OxygenOS 5.1.8 full ROM ZIP.
- Connect the OnePlus 6 to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded full ROM ZIP to the phone’s storage.
- Power off the phone completely.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to boot into the TWRP recovery.
- [Optional] If your phone has a custom ROM installed, then you will also need to wipe the OS. To do so:
- Next, go back to the main screen and tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the full ROM ZIP file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.8 update.
Note: Flashing OxygenOS full ROM using TWRP will unroot the phone completely and remove TWRP recovery as well. In order to maintain root/TWRP, simply download and install the latest Magisk ZIP and TWRP image prior to the first boot.
When the flashing process finishes, press the ‘Reboot System’ button. Once the device boots, it shall be running the latest OxygenOS software with the fixed bootloader vulnerability. This will ensure that your phone is more secure.
So, this was our guide on how to download and install OxygenOS 5.1.8 update on OnePlus 6. If you have any questions, please leave them down in the comments.