The latest software update for the OnePlus 6 brings July 2018 security patches, Google Lens integration, camera quality improvements, and more. You can now download OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 update and install it manually on your device right now.
OnePlus devices are well-known for timely updates and the developers are constantly working on making it better, even further. The last software update that the OnePlus 6 received was over a month ago in June. The company is now rolling out OxygenOS 5.1.9 for OnePlus 6 as an OTA update. The new version brings a considerable amount of changes to the phone’s software. Since the OTA is incremental in nature, it will gradually roll out to all the users slowly. So, if you’re not keen on waiting or want to update right now, then follow the instructions below to download and install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 update.
OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 Update – Changes and New Features
Monthly Security Updates have now become an integral part of every Android device’s update channel. It ensures that the phone’s software is up-to-date and secure from any vulnerabilities. OnePlus, till now, has done a fantastic job with the OnePlus 6 in this regard. The OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 update not only brings the July 2018 Android Security Patch, but also adds some major new features to the device.
The announcement, as always, was made at the OnePlus community by Beta Program and Dev Relations member Manu J. The OTA update weighs about 342 MB. Before you head over to download OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 update and install it, let us go through the changelog first.
- July 2018 Security Patch
- Fixed issues with accidental touches triggering gestures ( Draw V)
- Supported Telia Finland VoLTE (Default On) and VoWifi (Default Off)
- Improved image quality
- Integrated Google Lens mode
- Added beauty mode for Selfie Portrait
- Added Group MMS in the Messages app
- Optimized stability for Wi-Fi connection
- Fixed stability issue with the Bluetooth connection for cars
- General bug fixes and improvements
As you can see in the screenshot above, the default OnePlus Camera app now has an additional option “Google Lens” in the shooting mode selection. Furthermore, OnePlus 6 users have been complaining about the camera quality. In this update, the manufacturer has finally made the effort to improve that. Users who have already installed have confirmed that the camera quality is better when compared to the previous release. Then there are a few other improvements in the Messages, Bluetooth, and WiFi sections too.
So, now that you are aware of what new is there, follow the instructions below to download and install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 update.
Recommended: How to Enable Always-On Display on OnePlus 6
- Perform a full backup of all your data on the phone, including the internal storage. We suggest you follow our Android backup guide.
- Make sure to charge your OnePlus device to a sufficient battery level, to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
- Download OnePlus USB drivers and install them on the PC.
- The files and instructions provided here are only for the OnePlus 6. Do not attempt to try them on any other model or device.
Download OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 Update
How to Install OxygenOS 5.1.9 on OnePlus 6
Like all our previous tutorials, we will again be listing 2 different methods to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 update. The first one is for users with stock OxygenOS installed on their device. Method 2 is for users who have TWRP/Root or any other sorts of modification. If your device is completely stock on OxygenOS, you can also follow our quick tip on how to get OxygenOS updates right now.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade
- Download OxygenOS 5.1.9 full ROM for OnePlus 6.
- Connect the phone to the PC.
- Transfer the ROM ZIP to the root of the internal storage. By ‘Root’, we mean outside all the folders.
- Once transferred, disconnect the OnePlus 6 from the PC.
- Go to ‘Settings‘ -> ‘System updates’.
- Tap on the gear icon on the top-left of the screen.
- Select the ‘Local Upgrade’ option.
- Tap on the OxygenOS 5.1.9 full ROM ZIP.
- Finally, press ‘Upgrade Now’ to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 update.
The phone will reboot into the recovery mode and automatically flash the update file. Once the process is complete, your OnePlus 6 will boot into the updated OxygenOS software.
After updating, we strongly recommend that you wipe the cache partition via stock recovery. To do so, boot into stock recovery and then go to ‘Wipe data and cache’. Finally, tap on ‘Wipe cache’ and then ‘Ok’ to confirm.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download the OxygenOS 5.1.9 full ROM.
- Connect the OnePlus 6 to the PC and transfer the ROM to the phone’s storage.
- Power off the device completely.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery.
- [Optional] If your phone has a custom ROM installed, then you will also need to wipe the OS.
- Go back to the main screen and press the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the full ROM ZIP.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 update.
After the flashing process finishes, tap on ‘Reboot System’. The phone will boot into the updated OS with all the new goodies. You can go ahead and try out the camera app and check whether the quality has been improved up to your expectations. You can also try the latest Google Lens feature integrated within the OnePlus Camera itself.
So, you have just been able to download OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 5.1.9 update and install it on your phone. If you have any questions regarding the process, please leave a comment below.