OnePlus has just started rolling out Android Pie for the OnePlus 6 with OxygenOS 9.0. If you’re looking to upgrade right now, then follow this tutorial to download OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 9.0 update and install it manually.
Unlike many other manufacturers, OnePlus has a clean record when it comes to software updates. The company is supporting devices as old as two years such as the OnePlus 3/3T. Keeping up to its commitment, the OEM is now rolling out OxygenOS 9.0 for OnePlus 6 after two Open Beta releases. The update is rolling out over-the-air already for users on OxygenOS 5.1.11, and weighs about 1.5 GB. If you have still not received the OTA notification or are running the Open Beta software, then you can download and install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 9.0 update right now by following the instructions below.
Table of Contents
OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 9.0 Update – News Features and Changes
Since the OxygenOS 9.0 update is based on Android Pie, it carries almost all the new features. These include, but are not limited to Adaptive Battery & Brightness, multi-camera support, display cutout (notch) support, Digital Wellbeing and more.
The new software also incorporates changes in the user interface. The new Quick Settings menu, notifications, and device settings are a few to name. Well, that’s just not about it. The update also carries several other OxygenOS-specific changes including a new Do Not Disturb mode with customizable settings and Gaming Mode 3.0. To add, OxygenOS 9.0 for the OnePlus 6 also brings September 2018 security patches, which are the latest.
The official changelog as provided on the official release thread is as follows:
- Updated system to Android™ 9.0 Pie™
- Brand new UI for Android Pie
- New adaptive battery support
- New Android Pie gesture navigation
- Updated Android security patch to 2018.9
- Other new features and system improvements
- Do Not Disturb mode
- New Do Not Disturb (DND) mode with adjustable settings
- New Gaming mode 3.0
- Added text notification mode
- Added notification for 3rd party calls
- Accent color
- Supported accent color customization
The OTA is rolling out in stages and shall be available for some users today itself. In the upcoming days, it will further be pushed to each and every device worldwide. If you’re not in for waiting or have the previous Open Beta software installed, then you can download OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 9.0 update and install it right now. The procedure follows installing the full ROM package using the ‘Local upgrade’ option in the device settings.
Before you follow the instructions, make sure you check for the OTA notification by going to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System update’.
- Perform a full backup of all your data on the phone, including the internal storage. You can also follow our tutorial to backup Android phones.
- Make sure to charge your OnePlus 6 to a sufficient battery level. This shall help avoid any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
- Download OnePlus USB drivers and install them on the PC.
- The files and instructions provided here are only for the OnePlus 6. Do not attempt to try them on any other model or device.
Download OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 9.0 Update
How to Install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 9.0 Update
Since this is a stable OxygenOS update, it will not be rolled out to the Open Beta users via update. Which means you will need to manually install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 9.0 update. If you’re upgrading from the previous stable (i.e OOS 5.1.11) or Open Beta firmware, then use Method 1. Users with root/TWRP recovery can follow Method 2 to install this update using TWRP itself.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade in Settings
- Download OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 9.0 full ROM package.
- Connect your phone to the PC via the USB cable.
- Enable ‘Transfer files’ mode on the phone.
- Transfer the downloaded ROM package to the root of the phone’s internal storage. By ‘Root’, I mean outside all the folders.
- Disconnect the phone from the PC.
- Go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System updates’.
- Tap on the gear icon on the top-right of the screen.
- Select the ‘Local upgrade’ option.
- The system will automatically fetch the full ROM package from the root of the internal storage.
- Next, tap on the package name.
- Finally, press the ‘Upgrade Now’ button to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 9.0 update.
After the process is complete, the phone will automatically reboot into the updated Android Pie OS.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download OxygenOS 9.0 update package.
- Connect the OnePlus 6 to the PC and transfer the downloaded package to the root of the phone’s storage.
- Next, go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System updates’.
- Tap on the gear icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Press on ‘Local upgrade’ and then tap on the upgrade package.
- Tap on ‘Upgrade Now’ to install OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 9.0 update.
- Once the installation is complete, shut down the phone.
- Boot your OnePlus 6 into stock recovery mode.
- Go to ‘Wipe data and cache’.
- Press ‘Erase everything’ and then tap on ‘Ok’ to confirm.
After the wipe is complete, reboot your OnePlus 6 back into the OS. Your phone should now be running OxygenOS 9.0 update based on Android Pie. Go ahead and explore the software for all the new features.
Do you like the fresh and new OS on your OnePlus 6? Let us know via the comments.