Through this guide, you will learn how to unlock the bootloader on Realme X50 Pro (5G) using the official Unlock Tool (In-Depth Test) and fastboot commands. Further, we have also provided the instructions on how to relock the bootloader should you want to.
Realme has managed to capture a good portion of the smartphone market by offering its powerful phones at affordable price resolution. And it doesn’t stop there. The company has backed the custom development community by sending out phones to developers in the past. Plus it also provides an official way for bootloader unlocking for those who wish to play around with the software.
An unlocked bootloader is mandatory if you want to flash custom ROMs, install a custom recovery such as TWRP, or root your phone via Magisk.
When it comes down to Realme phones, the bootloader can easily be unlocked through fastboot. However, there’s an additional step that needs to be performed before that, which is to use the official Unlock Tool (Known as “In-Depth Test”) provided by Realme, to validate the bootloader. It is only after the bootloader is validated that you can finally unlock the bootloader on your Realme X50 Pro.
Table of Contents
- Important Information
- Instructions to Unlock Bootloader on Realme X50 Pro (5G)
- Relocking the Bootloader
An unlocked bootloader will certainly give you more freedom and control over your phone’s software, but it also comes with some risks. So before you head down to the instructions, make sure to read the information listed below.
- First, any damage caused by installing custom ROMs, rooting, etc after unlocking the bootloader may have an adverse effect on the phone’s performance and could even damage it. Such actions and their outcome are not warranted by Realme.
- You will continue to receive official Realme UI OTA updates on your phone after unlocking the bootloader. But this is only applicable until you have made any permanent modifications to software or device partitions, like installing TWRP custom recovery, rooting, etc.
- If you manage to brick your phone while flashing ROMs, mods, etc, you can attempt to restore the stock firmware using the Realme Flash Tool. Or, you can alternatively get it restored from an authorized Realme service center free-of-charge.
- Once the bootloader is unlocked, the Widevine status of your Realme X50 Pro will be changed from “L1” to “L3”. This means you will not be able to stream HD content on streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, etc. Although if you have rooted your phone, you could use a Magisk Module to restore back Widevine L1.
- Unlocking your phone’s bootloader will erase all the data including that stored on the internal storage. Don’t forget to take a backup. Refer to our guide on how to backup data on Android Devices.
- Keep your device charged sufficiently (at least 50% is recommended) so that the complete process is carried out smoothly.
- Make sure that you have installed all the latest USB drivers for your Realme X50 Pro installed on the PC.
- Download the latest Android SDK platform-tools (ADB and fastboot) package from here and install it on your PC (Click here for instructions).
- While following the instructions, you will need to launch the command-line window in the same folder where the SDK tools are installed. When asked to do so, follow the steps below:
- PowerShell in Windows: Open the folder where ADB and fastboot are installed (e.g. C:\plaftorm-tools). Then hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder. Finally, select the “Open PowerShell window here” option.
- Terminal in macOS/Linux: Launch the Terminal window and use the “cd” command to change its directory to the folder where ADB and fastboot are installed. For example, if you installed it to /Documents/platform-tools, then you should use the following command to change the directory:
Instructions to Unlock Bootloader on Realme X50 Pro (5G)
For your convenience and to provide a better understanding of the complete bootloader unlocking process, we have split the instructions into four (4) major steps below. So, let’s begin!
Step 1: Turn ON the ‘OEM Unlock’ Switch on your phone
The first step of the process is to turn ON the ‘OEM unlock’ toggle/switch on your Realme X50 Pro. To do this, go to “Settings” > “About phone” and continuously tap on the “Version” section for seven (7) times until you see the “You are now in Developer Mode!” message on the screen. By doing this, you should have enabled the hidden ‘Developer options’ menu.
Now, go to “Settings” > “Additional Settings” > “Developer options” on your phone and turn ON the “OEM Unlock” switch.
Step 2: Download Unlock Tool and Validate Bootloader
Now the second step is to validate the bootloader of your Realme X50 Pro for unlocking it. So, download the official Unlock Tool ( DeepTesting_X 50pro.apk; Extraction code: “l7n3”) and install the downloaded APK on your phone.
Once installed, launch the Unlock Tool application and tap on “Start Applying”. Then go through the Disclaimer shown on the screen, check the “I have I have read and agreed to the aforesaid content” and select “Submit application”.
Your application for bootloader unlocking will be sent and processed by the Realme servers. After about 15 minutes, the Unlock Tool will show the “Review Successful” message.
Step 3: Start the In-Depth Test & Reboot Phone into Fastboot Mode
At this point, your bootloader unlocking request has been approved by Realme. So, you can now begin unlocking the bootloader. To do this, select the “Begin In-Depth Test” option in the Unlock Tool app. After you do this, your Realme X50 Pro will automatically reboot into Fastboot Mode as shown in the figure below.
Step 4: Unlock Realme X50 Pro Bootloader using Fastboot
While your phone is in Fastboot Mode, connect it to the PC using a USB cable and then launch the command-line on your PC (Refer to pointer #5 of Prerequisites section).
Enter the command shown below to verify if your PC can communicate with your phone over the fastboot interface:
- On Windows:
- On macOS/Linux:
The command-line should return your phone’s unique ID along with the ‘fastboot’ message. If it doesn’t, then make sure that you have proper USB drivers installed or try using a different USB port on your PC.
Type in the following fastboot command in the command-line window and hit “Enter” to start the bootloader unlocking process:
As soon as you enter the command, a confirmation prompt will be displayed on the phone’s screen. Use the Volume keys to move the selector to “UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER” and press the Power key to confirm and finally unlock the bootloader on your Realme X50 Pro.
The phone will automatically reboot and all the data on it will be erased. Once it boots, you can re-setup the phone, log into your Google account, etc by following the on-screen instructions.
Relocking the Bootloader
If any point you want to relock the bootloader because of security concerns or for fully restoring the device to its factory state, then you can do so by following the instructions below.
- First, download the Unlock Tool app from above and install it on your phone.
- Then launch the Unlock Tool app and select “Apply to exit in-depth test”.
- Now, boot your Realme X50 Pro into Fastboot Mode. To do this, power off the phone and then hold the Volume Down + Power keys together.
- Connect it to the PC via the USB cable.
- Launch the command-line on your PC and issue the following command:
- On Windows:
.\fastboot flashing lock
- On macOS/Linux:
./fastboot flashing lock
- On Windows:
- After entering the command, you will receive a confirmation prompt on your phone’s screen. So, use the Volume keys to select “LOCK THE BOOTLOADER” and press the Power button to confirm and relock the bootloader on your Realme X50 Pro.
- All the data on your phone will be erased and it will reboot into the OS automatically.
So, you have just learned how to unlock the bootloader on Realme X50 Pro. You may now go ahead and install TWRP recovery on your phone, and further use it flash Magisk for rooting. You can also keep an eye out on this XDA section for any custom ROMs that might be released for the X50 Pro.
If you are while performing the instructions or have any questions regarding bootloader unlocking, then feel free to ask us.
//Source: Realme Community