OnePlus is now rolling out the first Open Beta software for the OnePlus 6. You can now download and install Android Pie-based OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 6.
OnePlus 6 was one of the first non-Pixel phones to get Android P Developer Preview (Also known as Android P Beta), thanks to Project Treble. And now after months of testing the manufacturer is finally rolling out the official OxygenOS software based on Android Pie, which is also the first Open Beta release for the OnePlus 6. Due to its Open Beta nature, this new software will not be available through OTA. Instead, you will need to manually install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 6. We have covered everything including the changelog, download links, and instructions below.
OxygenOS Open Beta 1 for OnePlus 6 – Changes & New Features
Like always, the announcement came directly from the OnePlus community forums. Before you head to the instructions, let us take a look at the changes and new features that accompany this update. As per the source, the following is the official changelog:
- Update system to Android 9.0 Pie
- Brand new UI for Android P
- New Android P gesture navigation
- Other new features and system improvements
- Integrated OnePlus customization features
- Supported accent color customization
- New Do Not Disturb mode with adjustable settings
- New Gaming Mode 3.0
- Added text notification mode
- Added notification for 3rd party calls
As you’d have noted, OxygenOS Open Beta 1 is based on Android 9 Pie. Which means that it carries all the visual and internal changes, including many new features like revamped UI, notch support, Adaptive Battery and Brightness, App Actions & Slices, all-new gesture-based navigation and much more. For more details on these features, please refer to the official site. In addition, the update also adds support for accent color customization, new DND mode settings, and Gaming Mode 3.0.
OnePlus 6 OxygenOS Open Beta 1 also brings September 2018 security patches ahead of the Pixel devices, which is another great news.
- Perform a full backup of all your data on the phone, including the internal storage. Method 2 below will require you to completely wipe all the data on the phone. You can follow our tutorial to backup Android phones.
- Make sure to charge your OnePlus 6 to a sufficient battery level. This shall help avoid any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
- Download OnePlus USB drivers and install them on the PC.
- The files and instructions provided here are only for the OnePlus 6. Do not attempt to try them on any other model or device.
Download OnePlus 6 OxygenOS Open Beta 1
Below are the links to download the full ROM package for both stable OxygenOS and Android P Developer Preview users.
Instructions to Install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 6
Since this release in an Open Beta, it will not be rolled out to the users via OTA. Which means you will need to manually install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 6. If you’re upgrading from the previous stable version i.e. OxygenOS 5.1.11, you can simply flash the full ROM package via the Local Upgrade option in settings. But if you’re coming from the Android P Developer Preview, you will need to follow a slightly different list of instructions. Both the scenarios have been covered below.
Method 1: For Users with Stable OxygenOS
- Download OxygenOS Open Beta 1 full ROM package.
- Connect your OnePlus 6 to the PC via the USB cable.
- Enable ‘Transfer files’ mode on the phone.
- Transfer the downloaded ROM package to the root of the phone’s internal storage. By ‘Root’, I mean outside all the folders.
- Disconnect the phone from the PC.
- Go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System updates’.
- Tap on the gear icon on the top-right of the screen.
- Select the ‘Local upgrade’ option.
- The system will automatically fetch the full ROM package from the root of the internal storage.
- Next, tap on the package name.
- Finally, press the ‘Upgrade Now’ button to install Android Pie-based OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 6.
After the process is complete, the phone will automatically reboot into the updated Android Pie OS.
Method 2: For Users with Android P Developer Preview
- Download the latest OxygenOS Open Beta 1 special upgrade package.
- Connect the OnePlus 6 to the PC and transfer the downloaded package to the root of the phone’s storage.
- Next, go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System updates’.
- Tap on the gear icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Press on ‘Local upgrade’ and then tap on the upgrade package.
- Tap on ‘Upgrade Now’ to install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 6.
- Once the installation is complete, shut down the phone.
- Boot your OnePlus 6 into stock recovery mode.
- Go to ‘Wipe data and cache’.
- Press ‘Erase everything’ and then tap on ‘Ok’ to confirm.
After the wipe is complete, reboot your OnePlus 6 back into the OS.
Now that you have been able to install OxygenOS Open Beta 1 on OnePlus 6, you can enjoy all the exclusive new Pie features. As mentioned earlier, this is a Beta firmware, which means it might not be stable enough for daily usage. The purpose of this update is to help the developers through feedback and bug reports. If you come across any major issue/bug, please consider reporting it on the official feedback forums.