The customization scene for OnePlus’ newly released flagship is starting to unfold. You can now install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5T.
The manufacturer has recently announced the successor to the OnePlus 5. The OnePlus 5T is also the first device from the company that offers a bezel-less design. It also doesn’t incorporate any other major changes on the inside, except a different camera lens. The OEM also released the device tree and kernel sources for the same, which means the development scene involving custom ROMs and root is ready to kick-start. XDA itself has already come up with a working TWRP build for the device. Now go ahead and follow this guide on how to install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5T.
- Install OxygenOS 4.7.4 Update on OnePlus 5T (Full ROM and OTA)
- Download and Install TWRP 3.2.0-0 Recovery on Android Devices
- Download and Install OmniROM on OnePlus 5T (Android Oreo 8.0/8.1)
- How to Downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo 8.0 to Nougat (OxygenOS)
Guide to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T
The 5T is probably the first device to receive unofficial TWRP support in such a short period. Our appreciations go to the XDA team, who care so much for true flashaholics. The developers took the OnePlus 5 TWRP recovery and patched it with the 5T’s kernel.
According to the source, the build is extremely stable and works as it is intended to. Which means you can take Nandroid backups, wipe device partitions, and freely flash ROMs, kernels, mods, etc. In short, you have all the liberty to tinker with your newly bought OnePlus device.
Updated on December 8, 2017: You can now install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T (dumpling) officially. The source code is available on Github.
Since there’s no stock firmware available for installation, you might not be able to fix any soft bricks caused due to flashing. So we strongly recommend that after you install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5T, make sure to take a full Nandroid backup. In such a scenario, a Nandroid backup could act as a reliable safeguard.
So, now if you have got the device, you can use the instructions below to easily install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5T.
- Before you even read the instructions, we advise you to take a full backup of your phone. This will ensure that all your data is backed up first-hand. You may follow our tutorial on how to backup Android phones.
- Your 5T must have an unlocked bootloader. If you haven’t done it yet, you shall follow our guide on how to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 5T.
- Charge your phone to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the flashing process.
- Also, you must first install ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
Instructions to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T
- Start by powering off your 5T completely.
- Then, boot into Bootloader mode by pressing and holding the ‘Volume Up’ + ‘Power’ button altogether.
- Once your OP5T is in bootloader mode, connect it to the PC via USB cable.
- Download TWRP recovery image for OnePlus 5T: dl.twrp.me/dumpling
- Once the file is downloaded, open the C:\adb (Prerequisites, #4) folder where all the ADB and Fastboot files are present.
- Copy the o5ttwrp.img to this folder.
- Hold the SHIFT key on your PC and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open command window here’ from the menu.
- Now enter the following command in the PowerShell/CMD window:
- The command should return a device ID along with ‘fastboot’ text.
- Now, you can either simply boot into the recovery temporarily using:
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.0-0-dumpling.img
- Or you can permanently install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5T using:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.0-0-dumpling.img
Once done, you can reboot into TWRP recovery mode and start using it. With this unofficial recovery rising so quickly, we can expect the official builds rolling out soon.
If you have any problems with the flashing process, let us know by commenting.