Have you installed Oreo on the latest OnePlus flagship yet? In this tutorial, we will show you how to install TWRP recovery and root OnePlus 5T on Android 8.0 Oreo easily.
OnePlus launched its latest smartphone over a month ago. The OnePlus 5T has gained a lot of recognition due to its powerful hardware specs. The OnePlus devices are also known to be developer friendly. Which means you can easily unlock the bootloader and customize your device with third-party software. After a lot of waiting, the manufacturer finally announced Android 8.0 Oreo-based OxygenOS Open Beta 1 for the device. If you’re looking for a method to install TWRP recovery and root OnePlus 5T on Android 8.0 Oreo, then you’re just at the right place.
- How to Root OnePlus 5 on Android 8.0 Oreo (OxygenOS 5.0)
- Download OnePlus 5T Sandstone White Stock Wallpaper [4K]
- Enable OnePlus 5T Star Wars Theme/Wallpapers on Any OnePlus 5T
- How to Downgrade OnePlus 5T Android Oreo to Nougat (OxygenOS)
Guide to Install TWRP and Root OnePlus 5T on Android 8.0 Oreo
The first Open Beta release for the device is based on Oreo. It brings all the Oreo-exclusive features like new camera UI, Autofill framework, Notification Dots, Parallel Apps, new Quick Settings design and so on.
While operating the latest Android version is sufficient for most, but certain users might want some extra features or tweak their device further using mods like ViPER4Android and Xposed Framework. In that case, you will first need to install TWRP and root OnePlus 5T on Android 8.0 Oreo. It will give you the privilege to modify the software code on the device or install other software that the manufacturer wouldn’t normally allow you to.
OnePlus has made several modifications to the device’s kernel that would block the official TWRP from decrypting the data partition. To recover from this situation, we will be specifically using a modified version of TWRP, provided by XDA Senior Developer – codeworkx. The recovery should allow you to easily decrypt data on your device.
Once you root your device then you will be able to add features that you wouldn’t normally find in the stock OS, remove bloatware, flash custom MODs and kernels, take Nandroid backups and much more. So follow the simple steps below to install TWRP recovery and root OnePlus 5T on Android 8.0 Oreo.
- You must first enable OEM unlocking and unlock bootloader on OnePlus 5T.
- Take a complete backup of your OnePlus 5T before proceeding. It will prevent any data loss situation. We suggest you to follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
- Charge your device to at least 50-60% battery level.
- You must install ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC to flash TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5T.
- Codeworkx TWRP recovery for OnePlus 5T: twrp-3.2.1-0-universal-codeworkx-cheeseburger.img
- Latest Magisk ZIP
Install Codeworkx TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T
In order to root OnePlus 5T on Android 8.0 Oreo, you will need to flash the compatible TWRP recovery on your phone.
- Boot your OnePlus 5T into bootloader mode:
- Power down the device completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Power button together.
- Connect your device to the PC using the USB cable.
- Download the “twrp-3.2.1-0-universal-codeworkx-cheeseburger.img” file from above.
- Copy the file to C:\adb. This is where all the ADB and Fastboot binaries are present.
- Hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard and right-click on any empty space inside this folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ option.
- Execute the following command to install TWRP on OnePlus 5T running Android Oreo.
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-universal-codeworkx-cheeseburger.img
- Once installed, you can disconnect the device and reboot it. Now follow further instructions to root OnePlus 5T on Android Oreo.
Root OnePlus 5T on Android 8.0 Oreo using Magisk
- Download latest Magisk zip from the links above.
- Connect your device to the PC and transfer the Magisk-v16.0.zip to the phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the phone from the PC and power it off completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery.
- Select ‘Install’ from the TWRP main menu. Navigate the internal storage and select the Magisk zip package.
- Finally, swipe the confirm flash button to flash Magisk and root OnePlus 5T on Android 8.0 Oreo.
- When the flashing process is finished, press the ‘Reboot System’ button.
Your OnePlus 5T should boot and would be running rooted Android Oreo firmware. You can go ahead and use root-enabled apps and mods like ViPER4Android. If you have rooted the device using Magisk, you can install from a long list of available modules to enjoy additional features on your OnePlus device.
So you have now succeeded to install TWRP and root OnePlus 5T on Android 8.0 Oreo. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, kindly comment below.