HMD Global recently announced Android Pie update for the Nokia 5. If you still haven’t got the OTA notification, then you can download and manually install Nokia 5 Android Pie Update using this guide.
Up until now, several Nokia Android smartphones have been updated to Android 9 Pie, with the Nokia 8 and Nokia 8 Sirocco being the lastest. And now, HMD has released the update for the Nokia 5 too. The mid-range phone was released back in 2017 with Android 7.1.1 Nougat, and after about two years it is finally being upgraded to Android Pie. This might also be the last major OS upgrade for the phone, considering that the Nokia 5 has already experienced three major Android versions including Android Pie now.
Android Pie update for Nokia 5 started rolling out over-the-air more than a week ago and has already reached several users in various regions. But, if you have not yet received the OTA notification, then you can follow the instructions below to manually install Nokia 5 Android Pie update.
Android Pie for Nokia 5 (V6.12E) – Changes and New Features
The new Android Pie-based software comes as v6.12E and the OTA weighs 1663.2 MB, which is considerably huge since it is a major Android OS upgrade. Like any other phone, Android Pie on Nokia 5 brings features including App Actions & Slices, Adaptive Battery and Brightness, new intuitive Gesture Navigation, and the rest of the UI revamps. Not only that, but the update also brings January 2019 security patches to the phone.
According to the OTA notification screenshot, the Nokia 5 Android Pie update brings offers the following new features:
- New system navigation, settings menu, and notifications
- Adaptive Battery power prioritization for users’ most commonly used apps/services
- Adaptive and optimized brightness levels
- Predictive Application Actions
- Google Security Patch 2019-01
As we already told you, the OTA is rolling out in phases, which means there could be some time before you get the update. To force-check for the OTA notification, go to ‘Settings‘ > ‘System‘ > ‘System updates‘ on your phone. If you haven’t got it yet, then you can follow the instructions below to install Nokia 5 Android Pie OTA manually.
- As always, we strongly recommend that you take a full backup of all your data stored on the device. Although the process will not wipe anything, it is best to safeguard your data. We also have a detailed tutorial on how to back up your data on Android.
- The process will work on any Nokia 5 despite the model number or the bootloader unlock state. Although, make sure that the phone is not rooted or has Magisk installed.
- Charge your phone to a sufficient battery level so it doesn’t switch off during the update process.
- Since this is a full OTA package, it doesn’t matter on which Android Oreo firmware your phone is on. So stay out of worries.
Download Nokia 5 Android Pie OTA
36779764279b6751959cc6709d7d16a1ed7ed1f7.zip | Size: 1.6 GB
The download link provided above is the courtesy from XDA member majason. The credits for capturing the OTA URL and uploading the OTA package goes to him. Please make sure that you visit the thread and thank him. Also, huge thanks to XDA senior member dex87xda for testing the OTA and confirming that it works without any issues.
How to Install Nokia 5 Android Pie Update?
- Download Nokia 5 Android Pie OTA zip on the PC
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable
- Transfer the Android Pie OTA zip to the root (Outside all folders) of the phone’s storage
- Next, power off your Nokia 5 completely
- Hold the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously until the phone vibrates.
- When the ‘No command’ screen appears, hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up key once to enter the stock recovery
- Highlight ‘Apply update from SD card’ using the Volume keys and press the Power button to select it
- Use the volume buttons to highlight the Android Pie OTA zip file
- Finally, press the Power button to confirm and install Nokia 5 Android Pie update
- When the installation finishes, select ‘Reboot system now’
Your Nokia 5 should reboot into the upgraded Android Pie OS with January 2019 security patches. Go ahead and enjoy all the latest features on your phone now.
There’s no denying that HMD Global has made a good effort in pushing regular monthly and major OS updates to its devices. According to the published roadmap, HMD would be releasing Android Pie for Nokia 3.1/3.1 Plus, Nokia 5.1, and Nokia 6 very soon. It’s great to see so many Nokia phones being upgraded to Pie in a timely manner.
So there you go! You have just been able to install Nokia 5 Android Pie Update. If you have any questions about this procedure, please feel free to drop a comment below.