HMD Global recently announced Android Pie update for the Nokia 5. If you still haven’t got the OTA notification, then you can download and manually install Nokia 5 Android Pie OTA Update using this guide.
Up until now, several Nokia Android smartphones have been updated to Android 9 Pie, with the Nokia 8 and Nokia 8 Sirocco being the lastest. And now, HMD has released the update for the Nokia 5 too. The mid-range phone was released back in 2017 with Android 7.1.1 Nougat, and after about two years it is finally being upgraded to Android Pie. This might also be the last major OS upgrade for the phone, considering that the Nokia 5 has already experienced three major Android versions including Android Pie now.
Android Pie update for Nokia 5 started rolling out over-the-air more than a week ago and has already reached several users in various regions. But, if you have not yet received the OTA notification, then you can follow the instructions below to manually install Nokia 5 Android Pie update.
Table of Contents
Android Pie for Nokia 5 – Changes and New Features
Like any other phone, Android Pie on Nokia 5 brings features including App Actions & Slices, Adaptive Battery and Brightness, new intuitive Gesture Navigation, and major overhaul to the user interface.
The latest Android Pie-based software comes as v6.18B and the OTA weighs 396.1 MB. The update brings July 2019 security patch, which is not the latest, but is still better than what most other competing devices have.
According to the OTA notification screenshot, the latest Nokia 5 Android Pie update brings the following changes:
Below are changelogs for the older updates, should you need to know what is or has been changed.
V6.12E (First Android Pie build)
- Based on Android 9 Pie
- New system navigation, settings menu and notifications
- Adaptive Battery power priorisation for users’ most commonly used apps/services
- Adaptive and optimised brightness levels
- Predictive Application Actions
- Google Security Patch 2019-01
- Improved system stability
- User interface enhancements
- Google Security Patch 2019-04
- Improved system stability
- User interface enhancements
- Google Security Patch 2019-06
As we already mentioned, over-the-air (OTA) updates roll out in phases, which means there could be some time before you get the update. To force-check for the OTA notification, go to ‘Settings‘ → ‘System‘ → ‘System updates‘ on your phone. If you haven’t got it yet, then you can follow the instructions below to install Nokia 5 Android Pie OTA update manually.
- As always, we strongly recommend that you take a full backup of all your data stored on the device. Although the process will not wipe anything, it is best to safeguard your data. We also have a detailed tutorial on how to back up your data on Android.
- The process will work on any Nokia 5 despite the model number or the bootloader unlock state. Although, make sure that the phone is not rooted or has Magisk installed.
- Charge your phone to a sufficient battery level so it doesn’t switch off during the update process.
Download Nokia 5 Android Pie OTA Package
Below we have provided direct links to download all the Android Pie-based OTA packages for the Nokia 5.
- V6.12E (First Android Pie OTA for Nokia 5):
- Download link (size: 1.6 GB)
- V6.16C (March 2019 Security Update):
- Download link (size: 267.7 MB)
- V6.17D (April 2019 Security Update):
- Download link (size: 693 MB)
- V6.17E (May 2019 Security Update):
- Download link (size: 95.5 MB)
- V6.18A (June 2019 Security Update):
- Download link (size: 391.8 MB)
- V6.18B (July 2019 Security Update):
- Download link (size: 396.1 MB)
The OTA packages were captured and shared by XDA member majason, so a huge thanks to him first.
Note: If you have received a more recent software update than the latest one provided above, then please consider capturing the URL of the OTA and share it with us. This would help a lot of our readers to manually update their Nokia 5.
How to Manually Install Nokia 5 Android Pie OTA Update?
The first Android Pie OTA for the Nokia 5 is a full OTA package and can be installed from any previous Nougat firmware.
However, after that, every OTA package provided below is an incremental OTA update. Which means, you will need first sideload the V6.12E OTA, followed by V6.16C, then V6.17D and so on.
- Download Nokia 5 Android Pie OTA zip on your PC.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the Android Pie OTA zip to the root (Outside all folders) of the phone’s storage.
- Next, power off your Nokia 5 completely.
- Hold the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously until the phone vibrates.
- When the ‘No command’ screen appears, hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up key once to enter the stock recovery.
- Highlight ‘Apply update from SD card’ using the Volume keys and press the Power button to select it.
- Use the volume buttons to highlight the Android Pie OTA zip file.
- Finally, press the Power button to confirm and install Nokia 5 Android Pie OTA update.
- When the installation finishes, select ‘Reboot system now’.
Your Nokia 5 should reboot into the upgraded Android Pie OS with latest July 2019 security patches. Go ahead and enjoy all the latest features on your phone now.
There’s no denying that HMD Global has made a good effort in pushing regular monthly and major OS updates to its devices. According to the published roadmap, HMD has also released Android Pie for Nokia 3.1/3.1 Plus, Nokia 5.1, and Nokia 6 (2017), Nokia 6/6.1 Plus, and Nokia 7 Plus. It’s great to see so many Nokia phones being upgraded to Pie in a timely manner.
So there you go! You have just been able to manually install the Android Pie update on your Nokia 5. If you have any questions about this procedure, please feel free to drop a comment below.