Xiaomi is now rolling out Android 9 Pie-based January 2020 security update for the Mi A1 globally as V10.0.17.0.PDHMIXM. If you still haven’t got the OTA notification, then you can follow the instructions below to download and install Xiaomi Mi A1 Android Pie Update (V10.0.17.0) right now. This could be easily done by installing the fastboot image or TWRP flashable zip.
The Mi A1 has received monthly security updates and major Android upgrades pretty much on time (Sometimes with loads of bugs…cough!). This has only been made possible because the phone is a part of Google’s Android One program. Its successors, the Mi A2, and Mi A2 Lite have already been upgraded to Pie. This month, right about the Christmas time, Xiaomi has released Android Pie update for the Mi A1 that brings a slew of new features along with the latest security patch.
Although the update has been rolled out globally, it could take some time before it actually reaches your phone. In that case, you can manually install Xiaomi Mi A1 Android Pie Update using the available TWRP-flashable zip or fastboot image.
Now before you get on to the instructions, read more about the details of this update and its official changelog.
Xiaomi Mi A1 Android Pie Update (V10.0.17.0) – Changelog
Xiaomi Mi A1 January 2020 Security Update based on Android Pie is now rolling out to the users. The OTA update weighs only 86.2 MB to be precise. According to the OTA notification, the only new change brought by this update is the January 2020 security patch.
Of course, since the update is based on Pie, it carries all the standard features like revamped settings menu, Quick Settings toggles, notifications, Digital Wellbeing, and more. To learn more about all the new features in Xiaomi Mi A1 Android Pie update, visit the official Android Pie website.
Before you move to the instructions, make sure to check for the OTA notification on your device. To do that, go to ‘Settings’ > ‘System’ > ‘System updates’. If you still haven’t got the notification, then follow the steps below to manually install Android Pie on Xiaomi Mi A1.
Download Xiaomi Mi A1 Android Pie Firmware
Updated on 25 January 2020: TWRP Flashable zip and Fastboot images of Android Pie-based January 2020 security update are now available for download.
Xiaomi Mi A1 TWRP Flashable zips:
- January 2020 Security Update (V10.0.17.0.PDHMIXM): PKQ1.180917.001.V10.0.17.0.PDHMIXM.zip | AFH mirror
- December 2019 Security Update (V10.0.16.0.PDHMIXM): PKQ1.180917.001.V10.0.16.0PDHMIXM.zip | AFH mirror
- November 2019 Security Update (V10.0.15.0.PDHMIXM): PKQ1.180917.001.V10.0.15.0.PDHMIXM.zip
- October 2019 Security Update (V10.0.14.0.PDHMIXM): PKQ1.180917.001.V10.0.14.0.PDHMIXM.zip | AFH mirror
- September 2019 Security Update (V10.0.13.0.PDHMIXM): PKQ1.180917.001.V10.0.13.0.PDHMIXM.zip | AFH mirror
- August 2019 Security Update (V10.0.12.0.PDHMIXM): V10.0.12.0.PHDMIXM_ROM.zip | AFH Mirror
- July 2019 Security Update (V10.0.11.0.PDHMIXM): PKQ1.180917.001.V10.0.11.0.PDHMIXM.zip | Google Drive Mirror
- June 2019 Security Update: V10.0.10.0.PDHMIXM_ROM.zip
- May 2019 Security Update: V10.0.9.0.PDHMIXM_ROM.zip
- April 2019 Security Update: V10.0.8.0.PDHMIXM_ROM.zip (Huge thanks to XDA Senior member JoKeRLeE!)
- March 2019 Security Update: [TWRP][V10.0.6.0][March 2019] Stock Android One Pie [Tissot].zip – (Thanks XDA Senior Member talayy!)
- February 2019 Security Update: [TWRP Flashable][Feb 2019] Stock Android One Pie [Tissot].zip
- January 2019 Security Update: [Stock Pie Stable][9.0][January 2019][V10.0.4.0].zip
Xiaomi Mi A1 Fastboot Images:
- Tissot_9.0_V10.0.10.0.PDHMIXM_Fastboot .zip
XDA Senior Member haimn was able to capture the OTA URL. Thanks to that, another member (jack_21) extracted the payload.bin and created an unofficial fastboot image of the Pie update. Furthermore, several of the files provided above were sourced directly from 4PDA forums.
So all the credits for the files and their respective download links go to them!
How to Install Xiaomi Mi A1 Android Pie Update
If your Mi A1 is on previous stock Oreo or Pie firmware, it is best to use Method 1 and flash the Fastboot Image to update. On the other hand, if you have TWRP installed on your Mi A1, then you shall use method 2 to flash the TWRP flashable zip.
For method 1, you must download and extract the Android SDK platform-tools package on your PC. In this post, we will assume that you have extracted the package to C:\adb. If you have extracted it to some other location, then make sure to follow the steps accordingly.
Method 1: Using Fastboot Image
- Download Mi A1 Android Pie V10.0.17.0 fastboot image
- Extract the content of the downloaded file to a suitable location on the PC (E.g. C:\MIUI)
- Power off your Xiaomi Mi A1 completely
- Hold the Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously to enter Fastboot Mode
- Connect your phone to the PC
- Next, download the latest Mi Flash tool and extract the downloaded zip file on the PC
- Open the extracted folder (MiFlash2017-7-20-0) and double-click on ‘XiaoMiFlash.exe’ to run the tool
- Click on the ‘refresh‘ button and make sure that the tool detects the Mi A1 correctly
- Once it does, click on ‘select‘ button and select the extracted folder where the Fastboot ROM is present (E.g. C:\MIUI\tissot_images_V10.0.17.0.PDHMIXM_9.0)
- Next, select the ‘Save user data‘ option at the bottom of the MiFlash tool window
- Finally, click on the ‘flash‘ button to install Xiaomi Mi A1 Android Pie Update using MiFlash tool on your Xiaomi device
- Once complete, the tool window shall show the “success” message and the device will reboot automatically
- You may disconnect the phone from the PC.
The update will be automatically installed on your phone without wiping the internal storage. And after the installation is complete, your phone will reboot and you can start exploring Android Pie on Mi A1.
Method 2: Using TWRP Flashable zip
- Download Mi A1 Android Pie V10.0.17.0 TWRP flashable zip
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the phone’s storage
- Once transferred, disconnect the phone and power it off completely
- Press the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery
- (Optional): If you’re using a custom ROM, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’ and wipe the ‘Cache’, ‘Dalvik/ART Cache’, ‘Data’ and ‘System’ partitions.
- In TWRP, tap on the ‘Install’ button
- Navigate the internal storage and select the Android Pie TWRP flashable zip file
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install Xiaomi Mi A1 Android Pie update
- When the flashing process is finished, press the ‘Reboot System’ button
When your phone boots, it shall be running the stable Android Pie V10.0.17.0 firmware with January 2020 Security Patches. You can now go ahead and enjoy all the Pie features on your phone.
So there you go! You have just been able to install Android Pie Update on Xiaomi Mi A1. Go ahead and try all the new features! If you have any questions regarding the steps in this guide, then make sure to comment below.