Xiaomi is now rolling out April security update to the Mi A1. If you have not yet received the OTA, then follow this guide to manually install Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 security update. The new firmware build number is V184.108.40.206.ODHMIFA.
The Xiaomi Mi A1 has been favored by Android enthusiasts ever since its launch in 2017. It is also the first Xiaomi phone which is powered by stock AOSP firmware, rather than MIUI. The phone successfully combines a powerful hardware config, premium design, and latest software all in one package. All aside, it the software support that separates the Mi A1 from the rest of the devices manufactured by Xiaomi. It is regularly updated each month with the latest security patches and other improvements. Keeping the spirit alive, the manufacturer is now rolling out the monthly security update for the month of April. For those who want to manually install Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 security update can follow the instructions below.
Table of Contents
Guide to Install Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 Security Update (V220.127.116.11)
Security updates are an integral part of any Android smartphone. As an advantage of the Android One program, the Mi A1 is assured for latest updates every month. It has almost been a few weeks since the latest security patches for April 2018 came live. And Xiaomi didn’t take much time to roll it out to the Mi A1 users.
There isn’t much information that we could gather from the OTA notification. Only that the firmware is based on Android 8.0 Oreo. To add, the Mi A1 April 2018 security update has solved network issues for several users. Many of them have also commented on the stability of this new iteration and complementing battery performance.
Before you even head down to the instruction to install Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 security update, go to Settings > System > System updates and check for the OTA notification. Since the rollout is incremental, it will reach out to every user gradually.
If the OTA has not yet reached your phone, you can simply choose to install it manually. Note that the official Fastboot image is
not yet available now available (Link below). Which means you can only update your phone using the unofficial methods available here. Our appreciation goes to XDA Senior Member Displax, for compiling Fastboot and TWRP flashable files that would allow you to easily update your Mi A1 to the latest security patch, unofficially.
Make sure to fulfill the requirements before you read the steps below to install Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 security update.
- Manually flashing the firmware may lead to data loss if performed incorrectly. So make sure to take a complete backup of your data beforehand. You can follow our extensive Android backup guide.
- Charge the Xiaomi Mi A1 to at least 60% battery level.
- For Method 1, install Android SDK tools on the PC.
- For Method 2, you must first install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A1.
- Download and install Xiaomi USB drivers on the PC.
Download Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 Security Update
TWRP Flashable: tissot_v18.104.22.168_april_unrooted.zip
There are two different methods listed here. You can either use Method 1 to manually flash the unofficial Fastboot ROM. Or, use method 2 to flash the TWRP flashable ROM. The method you choose depends on your convenience. The results will be the same.
How to Install Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 Security Update?
Method 1: Using Fastboot
- Download Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 security update (Fastboot ROM).
- Power off the device.
- Press the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to enter Fastboot mode.
- Connect Mi A1 to the PC using the USB cable.
- Follow our guide on how to install Fastboot ROM using Mi Flash tool.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Once finished, the phone will reboot automatically.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 security update (TWRP Flashable ROM).
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Enable ‘Transfer files’ mode.
- Copy the file to the device storage.
- Disconnect the phone and power it off.
- Press the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously to boot into TWRP recovery.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate the internal storage and select the TWRP flashable ZIP.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 security update.
- When the flashing process is finished, hit ‘Reboot System’.
Once your Mi A1 boots, it shall be running the latest software based on Android 8.0 Oreo. Go ahead and enjoy the overall system improvements.
According to several resources, we now know that Xiaomi is already working on releasing Android 8.1 Oreo for the device, which might also bring Project Treble compatibility to the Mi A1. For those who are keen on updating to 8.1 Oreo can also have a look at our list of best custom ROMs for Mi A1.
So, this was our tutorial on how to install Xiaomi Mi A1 April 2018 security update. If you have any questions, leave them down in the comments.