In this tutorial, we will guide you on how to install TWRP recovery and root Xiaomi Mi 8 easily.
The Xiaomi Mi 8 is the company’s 2018 flagship and the successor to last year’s Mi 6. Powered by the Snapdragon 845 chipset, it totes a 6.21″ 1080 x 2248 display, 6 GB of RAM, and comes in storage options of 64/128/256 GB. As is the case for most Xiaomi devices, the development community is pretty quick to get down to work on these as soon as the device is launched. And thanks to L.R. Team member wzsx150, we have a perfectly working TWRP recovery for Xiaomi Mi 8. And credits to XDA Senior Member gulp79 for porting the English version of the same.
With the availability of TWRP recovery, you can now easily root the phone. So, we have put together a handy guide on how to install TWRP recovery and Root Xiaomi Mi 8.
Rooting the Xiaomi Mi 8 is a 3-step process, as is the case with almost every modern-day Xiaomi device. It basically involves – (1) Unlocking the bootloader, (2) Flashing TWRP recovery, and finally (3) Flashing Magisk via TWRP to root.
- First and foremost, ensure that you take a full backup of all the data on your phone. This includes messages, contacts, and everything else that you feel necessary. We also have a tutorial that will help you backup your data with ease.
- Charge the Xiaomi Mi 8’s battery to at least 70% to avoid any shutdown during the process.
- Enable USB debugging: To do so, go to the device ‘Settings’ -> ‘About phone’. Then tap on the ‘MIUI version’ continuously until ‘You are now a developer!’ message appears on the screen.
- Also, enable OEM Unlocking in Developer Options. For that, go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Aditional settings’ and tap on ‘Developer options’. Scroll down and enable the ‘OEM Unlocking’ toggle.
- Make sure to install Android platform-tools on the PC. Here’s a quick guide on how to do it. If you’d like a simpler approach, then you can use Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool.
Before you head down to the instructions and root Xiaomi Mi 8, make sure to fulfill all the requirements stated above.
- TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Mi 8:
- For Android Pie:wrp-220.127.116.11.-dipper.img
- For Android Oreo:
- Forced Encryption Disabler: Disable_Dm-Verity_FEC_v1.1.zip
- Latest Magisk Installer zip: Magisk-v17.1.zip (More details and changelog)
Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 8
In order to install TWRP and root Xiaomi Mi 8, you must first unlock the bootloader. If you have already done it, you can head over straight to the steps below, If not, you can follow our comprehensive guide to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Devices.
Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 8
- Download the TWRP recovery image and transfer it to the C:/adb folder where the ADB/fastboot binaries are present.
- Power off your Xiaomi Mi 8 completely.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Connect the phone to the PC while it is in Fastboot mode.
- Go to C:/adb on the PC, where you copied the TWRP image. Then hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Enter the following command to install TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Mi 8:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-18.104.22.168.-dipper.img
- Now it is important to boot to TWRP first before you can boot into the OS. Use the following command to boot the Xiaomi Mi 8 directly into TWRP mode:
fastboot boot twrp-22.214.171.124.-dipper.img
Your phone should now be in TWRP recovery mode. Go ahead and follow the steps below to root Xiaomi Mi 8 using Magisk.
Root Xiaomi Mi 8
- On TWRP screen, tap on the ‘Keep Read Only’ button to not allow system modifications.
- Go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Format Data’. Type ‘yes’ in the field to confirm wiping of data and hit Enter. This will completely erase all the data on the device.
- Go back to the TWRP home screen, then tap on ‘Reboot’, and then on ‘Recovery’.
- Next, download the Forced Encryption Disabler and Magisk Installer zip files.
- Connect your Mi 8 to the PC using the USB cable.
- In TWRP, go to ‘Mount’ and press the ‘Enable MTP’ button.
- Copy the downloaded files to the phone’s internal storage
- Tap on ‘Install’ and select the ‘Disable_Dm-Verity_FEC_v1.1.zip‘ file. Then swipe to confirm the installation.
- Now once encryption is disabled on the phone, you can go ahead and install Magisk to root.
- Go back to the TWRP main screen and tap on ‘Install’ again and select the ‘Magisk-v17.1.zip‘ file.
- Finally, swipe to confirm the installation and root Xiaomi Mi 8.
- Once the installation is complete, tap the ‘Reboot System’ button and let the device reboot.
After it has rebooted, set it up like a new device. You should now see Magisk Manager among your apps. That’s it then. You should now have full root access on your Xiaomi Mi 8. If you want to verify if your device has been successfully rooted, download and run the Root Checker app from the Play Store.
Having TWRP installed, you can now flash custom packages/flashable ZIP files on your phone, or use it backup/restore the complete OS. On the other hand, root gives you the ability to run root-enabled apps, install and use mods like ViPER4Android OR Dolby Atmos and more.
Hope you found our step-by-step guide on how to Install TWRP recovery and root Xiaomi Mi 8 helpful. If you have any questions or face any issues during the process, do feel free to let us know via the comments section below, and we will do our best to help you out. Enjoy your rooted Xiaomi Mi 8 now!