In this article, we will take you through the complete process on how to root Huawei P20 Pro and install TWRP recovery on it.
Huawei took the smartphone market last month with the set of the latest P series devices. Of the trio, the P20 and P20 Pro are tagged among the premium flagships. These are already known for packing in a very powerful hardware and the latest EMUI software based on Android 8.1 Oreo, that’s focused on AI and machine learning technology. The devices have also received the highest DxOMark score (102 and 109) surpassing some known flagships including Galaxy S9 Plus and Google Pixel 2. While the software experience is great, certain users might still want to step further and root Huawei P20 Pro/Huawei P20. The extensive tutorial below will take you through the complete process, step-by-step.
Table of Contents
Guide to Root Huawei P20 Pro and Install TWRP Recovery
Judging by the hardware configuration, software, and all the unique features, the latest Huawei flagships have all the potential to stand against the competitors. While the devices have only started reaching a few markets till now, the community is making solid progress towards third-party development. XDA senior member Pretoriano80 has already managed to compile and release TWRP Recovery for the said devices.
Update (12 June 2018): Official TWRP recovery for Huawei P20 Pro is now available for download. Download link and instructions have been updated.
Which means you can easily install TWRP recovery on Huawei P20 Pro/Huawei P20 and use it too root the device. So far, there’s no information on when the P20 will be added to the official TWRP support list. But with the momentum we are seeing, it doesn’t seem to be too far away.
Rooting the phone is a three-step process. The first step is to unlock the phone’s bootloader, which will enable the user to flash TWRP recovery (second step). Afterward, you can flash Magisk installer ZIP using TWRP to root Huawei P20 Pro and Huawei P20.
- Perform a full backup of the data on your device. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
- Charge your Huawei device to at least 60% battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the rooting process.
- Install ADB/Fastboot tools on the PC.
- Download TWRP Recovery IMG for the device:
- Copy the downloaded IMG file to C:/adb. This is the folder on your PC, where the ADB/Fastboot binaries are present.
Unlock Huawei P20 Pro Bootloader
Now, the first step in order to root Huawei P20 Pro/Huawei P20 is to unlock the phone’s bootloader. This will allow you to manually flash the TWRP recovery image using Fastboot. Note that this process will completely erase the device. First, make sure to enable OEM unlocking on the phone. Then go ahead and follow our tutorial on how to unlock bootloader on Huawei P20.
Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei P20 Pro
- Go to C:\adb on the PC.
- This is the folder where the Android SDK tool binaries are present.
- Hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ option.
- Power off the Huawei P20 completely.
- Connect the device to the PC while holding the Volume Down key.
- The Huawei device should now be in Fastboot mode.
- Execute the following command to install TWRP recovery on Huawei P20:
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp_p20_0.1.img
- To install TWRP recovery on Huawei P20 Pro, use the following:
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp-3.2.1-0-charlotte.img
- Finally, reboot your device using:
Now move towards the third and the last step in order to root Huawei P20 Pro and Huawei P20.
How to Root Huawei P20 Pro?
- Download latest Magisk or SuperSU ZIP file.
- Copy the downloaded files to the phone’s storage or SD card.
- Disconnect the phone and power it off.
- Hold the Volume Up and Power keys simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery mode.
- Swipe the button on the ‘Unmodified system partition’ warning.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the storage and select the Magisk/SuperSU ZIP file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to root Huawei P20 Pro/Huawei P20.
- When finished, press ‘Reboot System’.
Your Huawei device should now reboot into the OS. You can now take its advantage to install Magisk modules or mods like Dolby Atmos, ViPER4Android, and Xposed Framework on the device. Rooting gives you complete control over the system, which means you now have the privilege to modify the software according to your terms.
So you have just been able to root Huawei P20 Pro and Huawei P20. If you have any questions regarding the process, then leave us a comment.