Official TWRP Recovery for the OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro has been released. In this guide, we will show you how to Install TWRP recovery and Root OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro using Magisk.
Whenever we talk about the development relating to rooting and unlocking, OnePlus devices have always been the front-runners. This notion is further made stronger by the fact that it runs on Oxygen OS, which many people consider to be the best among all the customized Android OS.
Yet, if you belong to the category of users who always want to try something new with their device, then rooting is probably the best gateway for it. So in this guide, I will show you how you to Install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro and then root it.
— Just looking for root? We also have a separate tutorial for users, who would like to root their OnePlus 7/7 Pro without TWRP.
Table of Contents
Guide to Install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro
It has just been over a month since OnePlus made an addition to its series of devices with the launch of two of its flagship devices. And within this short span of time, official TWRP Recovery for the OnePlus 7 as well as the OnePlus 7 Pro has been released. TWRP Recovery for both of these devices is being maintained by the same developer, mauronofrio.
In this guide, we will show you how to Install TWRP recovery and subsequently root OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro using Magisk. The process is pretty simple. You shall start by first unlocking the phone’s bootloader. Once done, you can easily install TWRP and use it flash the Magisk installer zip for root.
If you are running Oxygen OS v9.5.4 GM21AA for India/Global Variant or 9.5.5 GM21BA for EU variant, then by using the command for temporary booting into the recovery (fastboot boot recovery.img), you will get an error message – “FAILED…(unknown command)”. Hence it is recommended to update your OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro to the latest OS version before proceeding with this guide.
- Recommended: Download GCam Port for OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro
- Backup all your data as your entire internal memory would be wiped off. Follow our detailed guide on how to backup data on Android devices.
- Make sure to keep your device at least 60-70% charged so that it doesn’t turn off during the rooting process.
- Enable USB debugging and OEM Unlocking. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build Number 7 times -> Go back to Settings -> Developer Option -> Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking. You could also follow our separate guides on how to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
- It is mandatory to first unlock the phone’s bootloader. If you still haven’t done it, then follow our tutorial on how to unlock OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro Bootloader.
- For entering fastboot commands, make sure to install ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Also, install the latest OnePlus USB drivers for your OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro.
- TWRP for OnePlus 7 (codename: guacamoleb)
- TWRP for OnePlus 7 Pro (codename: guacamole)
- Download the latest version of Magisk: Magisk v19.3.zip (Click here to view the complete changelog)
- OnePlus 7 Pro Stock Boot Images (thanks to bradl79 for the images):
Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro
- Download the TWRP recovery image and the TWRP Installer zip file for your OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro.
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- Transfer both the files to your internal storage.
- Go to the folder where you installed ADB and Fastboot Tools (eg C:\adb).
- While pressing Shift Key, right-click in an empty space inside this folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here‘.
- Boot your OnePlus 7 into Bootloader Mode.
- Type in the below code to make sure that your device is properly connected:
If properly connected, you will see your device’s serial number. If not, then make sure you have the required USB Drivers installed for your OnePlus device.
- Next, in the PowerShell window, type the below code to temporarily boot your OnePlus 7 (Pro) into TWRP Recovery:
fastboot boot filename.img
Make sure to replace “filename.img” with the actual filename of the TWRP recovery image. For example, if you are installing the recovery on OnePlus 7 Pro, then the complete command will look like:
fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-2-guacamole.img
- Once your device boots into TWRP, tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Next, navigate to the internal storage and select the TWRP Installer zip file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install TWRP permanently on your OnePlus 7 (Pro).
That’s it. You have just successfully installed TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro. But don’t reboot your phone yet, you will end up in bootloop because of the triggered dm-verity. So, as soon as you have installed the recovery, you will have to install the Magisk zip file as well. Follow the below section to know how to install this zip file in order to get root access.
How to Root OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro
- Download the latest Magisk installer zip file.
- Boot into Recovery mode. For that first enter into fastboot mode by pressing Power and Vol Up Button together.
- Then in Fasboot Mode, press Volume Up twice. you will see the ‘Recovery mode’ option.
- Press the Power button to confirm the selection and boot your OnePlus 7 (Pro) into TWRP recovery mode.
- Connect your device to PC.
- Go to the ‘Mount’ option of TWRP and select ‘Enable MTP’ option.
- Now transfer the Magisk installer zip file to your phone.
- Under TWRP, chose the ‘Install’ Option.
- In the internal storage of your device chose the ‘Magisk-v19.3.zip’ file.
- After that, right swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ option.
- Now go to ‘Reboot’ option and select ‘System’. The device will now boot to the Android System.
That’s it. You have successfully installed the latest version of Magisk on your device. Go ahead and try out the various rooting apps, Magisk modules, enable Camera2API for Google Camera, install mods like ViPER4Android or Dolby Atmos, etc. The possibilities are endless, why not go and have a try!
So this was a comprehensive guide on how to Install TWRP recovery and Root OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro. If you are having any questions, feel free to ask in the comments section below.