The Xiaomi Mi A1 December update is now rolling out worldwide. You can follow this tutorial to update your Android One device right now.
The Mi A1, based on the Android One program is following the same footsteps like its elders – Nexus and Pixel devices. Just as promised, the phone is now receiving regular security updates every month. For an end user, these updates hold a lot of importance, since they bring the latest Android security patches to the device. If the update has not yet rolled out to your A1, then you might just follow the instructions here to install Xiaomi Mi A1 December update.
- How to Install Xiaomi Mi A1 November Update (N2G47H.7.10.30)
- Root Xiaomi Mi A1 (Magisk) and Install TWRP Recovery
- How to Install Essential Phone December Update OTA (NMJ51B)
- Download and Install TWRP 3.2.0-0 Recovery on Android Devices
Xiaomi Mi A1 December Update – N2G47H.7.12.7
The Android One program was created keeping in mind that the device built shall be supported with latest Android version and security enhancements. Google felt like updates and a secure mobile environment should not just be the privilege of the high-end devices. After three generations of various devices from different manufacturers, the 4th generation came up with the Xiaomi Mi A1. It is probably one of the best and most popular Android One handsets.
Before we squeeze in towards the instructions to install Xiaomi Mi A1 December update, let us go through the details first. The new update is still based on Android Nougat 7.1.2. The build number is now N2G47H.7.12.7 and majorly focuses on bringing the December security patches to the device. It also includes overall performance and interface improvements.
To check if the OTA update has arrived on your device, go to ‘Settings’ » ‘About phone’ » ‘System update’ and tap on ‘Check for update’.
In case the OTA notification has not yet reached your region, you can manually install Xiaomi Mi A1 December update right now.
- Charge your Mi phone to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the process.
- Manually updating your device could lead to data loss, if the procedure is not followed as stated. So make sure to back up your A1 completely. You may follow our guide on how to fully backup Android phones.
- If you’re going to follow method 1, you must install ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC.
- If you choose method 2, you must first download and install MiFlash tool on your PC.
Download Mi A1 December Update
- OTA (N2G47H.7.11.18 to N2G47H.7.12.7):
- Fastboot ROM:
Instructions to Install December Update on Xiaomi Mi A1
Now there are two ways to get this update on your phone right now. You can either manually sideload the OTA package to upgrade from previous November update to the current one. Or, in case you have rooted or have TWRP installed, you may choose the latter method and flash the Fastboot ROM using MiFlash tool.
Method 1: Sideload OTA Package
The most direct way to get the Xiaomi Mi A1 December update is by sideloading it. But this would only work if you have the previous stock firmware installed.
- Now boot your Mi A1 into stock recovery mode:
- Power down the phone completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button altogether till you see the Mi logo.
- On the ‘No command’ screen, hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up key once.
- When your A1 is in recovery mode, connect it to the PC via the USB cable.
- Use the Volume keys to highlight ‘Apply update from ADB’ and press the Power button to select it.
- Download the OTA zip file from the links above.
- Copy the downloaded file to the C:\adb folder where the SDK tools are present (Prerequisites, #3).
- Press and hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the same folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open command window here’ option.
- Finally, enter the command in the PowerShell/CMD window to install Xiaomi Mi A1 December Update:
adb sideload f61a1dd4dffbc45dc2f3cea41d3aa69855499755.zip
- The update shall be installed on your phone. Once it is complete, select the ‘Reboot system now’ option in stock recovery.
Method 2: Flash Fastboot ROM using MiFlash
- Boot your Mi A1 into Fastboot mode. To do so, power off the phone first. Then press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons altogether until you see the Fastboot screen.
- Connect your device to the PC.
- Run the MiFlash tool and click on the ‘refresh’ button inside the tool window.
- Download the Fastboot ROM and extract its content to an easily accessible location on your PC. Example: C:\MIUI\ROM.
- Click on the ‘select’ button in the MiFlash tool. Browse and select the folder where the extracted Fastboot ROM is present.
- Then, select the ‘Save user data’ option at the bottom of the tool window.
- Finally, click on the ‘flash’ button to install Mi A1 December Update.
Once the ROM has been installed, your phone will reboot automatically. You will need to complete the initial setup and then start using the updated firmware. Your Mi A1 should now be running the latest December security firmware.
If you have any problems updating your device, then let us know by commenting below.