We are all now familiar with Google’s two latest Nexus flagships released during 2015 – Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. And just like me, if you have grabbed the Nexus 6P, you would like to clear off its way and show it the path to its real potential. To do this, you will need to root Nexus 6P, and thereafter, have complete control over its system.
The process to root Nexus 6P may not be direct, but is easier than its for the devices from other manufacturers. To begin with, you will need to unlock the phone’s bootloader, so that you can access it via fastboot. Next, you will need to flash TWRP recovery, which will be further used to root the Nexus 6P using Chainfire’s SuperSU root.
[box type=”info”] Rooting your Nexus 6P may break your phone’s official support. TheCustomDroid.com shall not be held responsible for any kind of damage to your device.[/box]
How to Root Nexus 6P
- Unlocking will wipe everything on your device, this includes the internal storage too. So, backup your device completely.
- Charge your Nexus 6P to at least 60% battery to avoid any kind of interruption during the process.
- Enable USB debugging on your Nexus 6P. Go to Settings > Developer options, and enable USB debugging. If you still can’t enable it, you can follow this guide.
- Download the platform tools (ADB and fastboot) package and extract it to a convenient location on your PC.
STEP 1: Unlock Bootloader
- Flashing TWRP via fastboot won’t work until you have the phone’s bootloader unlocked. To start, go to Settings > Developer options and enable OEM unlocking.
- Press and hold the power button for a few seconds, and select power off. Now, wait for the phone to shut down completely.
- When it has, press and hold Volume Down and Power keys until you see the bootloader screen.
- Now that the phone has entered bootloader mode, connect your phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Go to the platform-tools folder. Press the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder. Select Open command window here and enter the following command to start the unlock process:
fastboot flashing unlock
- A warning will appear on the screen, so use the volume buttons to highlight Yes, and select it by pressing the power button.
- Now that the bootloader has been unlocked, you can reboot your Nexus 6P.
- That is it. You have just unlocked Nexus 6P bootloader.
Flash TWRP & Root Nexus 6P
- Connect the 6P to the PC, and transfer root package (E.g. SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip) to the phone’s storage.
- Keep the phone connected for now.
- Copy the downloaded TWRP image file to the platform-tools folder. On an empty space inside this folder, press SHIFT key and right-click. Now select Open command window here from the pop-up menu that appears.
- Keeping the phone connected, enter the following command to reboot the phone into bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Then, flash the TWRP recovery using the given command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-angler.img
- Now that TWRP is installed on your 6P, press the either of the two volume keys until Recovery mode shows up, and select it using the power button.
- Once the Nexus 6P has entered TWRP recovery mode. Go to Install and select SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip.
- Now swipe the button on the bottom to start the flashing process.
- This will merely take a few seconds to complete, and when it’s done, you can tap on Reboot system to finally boot into your rooted Nexus 6P.
Download the Root Check app and run it to confirm whether your Nexus 6P has been successfully rooted or not.
[appbox com.jrummyapps.rootchecker googleplay ]
That was extremely an easy process to carry out. If you still have problems, you can comment below. Stay tuned until we get back with more tips & tricks for the Nexus 6P.
You might like these too: