Do you want to root your Snapdragon Galaxy S8 Plus? Here’s a quick and efficient tutorial to help you root Galaxy S8 Plus Snapdragon using SamFAIL on all carriers. The method works for SM-G955U and SM-G955U1 models sold in the US.
Samsung has been consistently releasing its flagship devices in two different variants – Exynos and Snapdragon since the S7 era. The trend continued with last year’s Galaxy S8/Note 8 series and the current S9/Note 9 lineup. We have already seen root for the Exynos S8, and it is based on the standard rooting method involving TWRP and SuperSU/Magisk. But things tend to get a bit complicated when it comes to Snapdragon-equipped Samsung devices and rooting, largely due to the locked bootloader on the US models.
Root has been available for the Snapdragon models on earlier firmware builds via the SamFAIL exploit, what we also used to root Galaxy Note 8 N950U. But later revisions to the firmware and more importantly, the Bootloader version rendered the exploit useless. However, thanks to XDA’s Recognized Contributor jrkruse, we now have a working method to root Galaxy S8 Plus Snapdragon with the added benefit that it does not trip the dreaded KNOX counter.
Features of the modified SamFAIL firmware include:
- Preloaded with SafeStrap recovery
- Pre-rooted with the latest SuperSU
- Xposed Framework installed
- Dolby Atmos toggle
- and more…
Depending upon your phone’s bootloader version, there are two different sets of files to help you root Galaxy S8 Plus Snapdragon. Follow the pointers below to find out your bootloader version. This process will work regardless of whether you are running Android 8.0 Oreo or Android 7.1.1 Nougat. What’s important is that your Bootloader version/revision matches with one of the below.
- U4XXXX (Bootloader rev4)
- U5XXXX (Bootloader rev5)
Does this method work on the Galaxy S8 too? – Simple, no! That’s because the S8 firmware with V3 bootloader or above has been patched against the SamFAIL method. So now that you know what’s gonna happen, head over to the instructions to root Galaxy S8 Plus Snapdragon.
- The instructions are solely meant for the Snapdragon version of Galaxy S8+ (G950U/U1), sold in the US. Do not attempt to use this method on an Exynos model.
- This method will only allow root access on the device. Flashing of custom recovery/ROMs is still a no-go, on account of the locked bootloader.
- Your device will only charge up to 80% battery level. Although several users have reported that it only showed 80% visually, while the device actually functioned like it was charged to 100%.
- You might sometimes observe a tint on the screen. In such a situation, simply turn off and then turn on the screen to fix it.
- Please backup all your phone data prior to commencing. This process will wipe all data on your device. We recommend you follow our guide on how to backup Android phones
- Charge your S8 Plus to at least 70% battery level. This will prevent any sudden shutdown during the process.
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
Make sure to go through all the notes and fulfill all the requirements before you follow the instructions below to root Galaxy S8 Plus Snapdragon.
- Latest Odin Flash tool: Odin3_v3.13.1.zip
- SamFAIL Pre-rooted Firmware: G955USQS4BRB1_ODIN_SAMFAIL_V4&V5.zip
How to Root Galaxy S8 Plus Snapdragon using SamFAIL
- Download the latest Odin and pre-rooted firmware files and extract them to an easily accessible location on the PC.
- Power off your Galaxy S8 Plus completely.
- Then press and hold the Volume Down + Bixby + Power button until you see the warning screen.
- Read the warning message carefully and then tap the Volume Up button once to enter Download Mode
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Run ‘Odin3 v3.13.1.exe’ by double-clicking on it.
- The COM port on the Odin window should light up Blue. If it doesn’t, then make sure that you have installed proper USB drivers and also that Kies is not running in the background.
- Click the ‘BL’ button and select the ‘BL_V4_PART_1.tar‘ OR ‘BL_V5_PART_1.tar‘ (depending on whether you are on Bootloader version 4 or 5)from the folder you extracted earlier.
- Click the ‘Start’ button to start the flashing process.
» IMPORTANT: As soon as the process finishes and the phone shuts down, hold the Volume Down + Bixby button to re-enter Download Mode.
- Click the ‘AP’ button and this time, select the ‘AP_SYSTEM_IMG_PART_2.tar’.
- Click on ‘Start’ to initiate the flashing process.
» The process will end up with the ‘FAIL’ message (This is perfectly normal, so nothing to worry about) and the phone will reboot automatically. When it does, make sure to hold the Volume Down + Bixby button again to enter Download Mode.
- Next, make sure to click the ‘Reset’ button in Odin window.
- Click the ‘AP’ button and select the ‘BL_V4_PART_3.tar‘ OR ‘BL_V5_PART_3.tar‘ (depending on whether you are on Bootloader version 4 or 5).
- Finally, click on ‘Start’ to flash the file and thus root Galaxy S8 Plus Snapdragon using SamFAIL.
Once done, the phone will reboot automatically into a fresh rooted and de-bloated system. If you have got any questions regarding the method, feel free to check out the original XDA thread.
Note: If the phone gets stuck on boot animation for more than 10 minutes, reboot to recovery mode (Volume UP + Bixby + Power) and perform a wipe data/factory reset, followed by a wipe cache partition, and then reboot the device.
That’s it. You should now have root access on your Galaxy S8+ Snapdragon with SuperSU and are ready to unleash the full potential of your device. If you want to verify if your device has been successfully rooted, download and run the Root Checker app from the Play Store.
Hope you found our guide on How to Root Galaxy S8 Plus Snapdragon helpful. If you come across any roadblocks during the process, drop a comment below, and we will be more than happy to help you out.